0: cigarette smoke

Why do we always gotta run away?
And we wind up in the same place.
It's like we're looking for the same thing,
Same thing, yeah.

Easier; 5 Seconds of Summer

            Ashton's feet hit the damp desert ground with a dull thud. No dust nor clay is disturbed. Luke lands just to Ashton's right like a poised hawk: silent and focused. The cold follows them. They bring ice to the Nevada desert through nothing but their presence.

            "When was the last time we visited this shithole?" Ashton scoffs, placing an unlit cigarette between his lips, not looking at his partner as he spoke.

            Biting down on the stick of nicotine gently, he raises his right pointer finger to the end of the cigarette. It sparks with flames in an instant.

            "Hell, I'd guess the 80s." Luke chuckles, looking out at the dim glow of the city miles ahead of them.

            "That right?" The former shakes his head, pulling the cigarette from his mouth and breathing out the fumes slowly, taking his damn sweet time.

            "We weren't on assignment, though. That shit was a vacation." The greasy blonde smirks at his partner, his wings folding into his back with a soft swish.

            "Now that rings a bell, my friend." Ashton leers back, placing the cigarette between his lips again.

            The pair walks. They walk with purpose. They walk with their heads lifted proudly; chins up, fists drawn to their sides, eyes forward: glowing like the embers beneath their feet.

            "You think we will actually find this thing?" Luke breaks the silence, flicking those damned blue flames for eyes to his left, studying Ashton carefully.

            "My bet is that this shit is a person." Ashton answers him curtly, "What else could hold 'incredible prediction abilities', or whatever the fuck Hellfire said it was?"

            "I don't know, mate, a gem? A cursed oracle? We've been sent after less, you know." Luke brings his eyes forward again.

            They walk.

            They walk proud.

            "It feels human." Ashton states after several kilometers have been cleared.

            "I hope you're right," Luke chuckles, twisting his hands slowly in front of his chest. A soft, metallic tinkle begins to sound from within his hands. Delicate chains no wider than a few centimeters snake themselves around Luke's slender fingers, "I haven't had to immobilize anyone in ages."