Factory

Dasyil, River and the other survivors travelled down the tunnel for a while, waiting for an ambush that never came. The deeper they went into the strange complex, the more worried they got. They had no idea what could be ahead, until they soon reached the end of the tunnel.
In front of them was a large metal door, completely different from the rest of the building's architecture and design. It also looked like it was much younger, and installed recently, compared to the rest of the building.

River was cautious, she looked at it from a distance before noticing a small glowing keypad right next to the right hand side of the large metal door. She approached cautiously, holding her gun as the rest of the soldiers watched and kept an eye out for anything dangerous.

Her golden eyes glossed over it quickly, before she looked back at her troops "Is there anyone here who knows electronics?" she asked, and glanced around.

A woman raised up her hand and stepped forward "I do, ma'am. I can try and open the door if you want. But I don't know what could happen if I make a mistake"

River smiled at her and shook her head "You won't make a mistake. You can do this" she said confidently, reassuring her of her skills. 

The engineer nodded and approached the keypad and got to work while River went back to Dasyil, who had gotten close to the door and was examining it.

He exhaled, and looked over to River "I don't get it. They know we're here, and inside their base. We followed those soldiers down here, so this must be where they are. Unless they've gone through another exist. Which they could have easily done by now"

River nodded and pondered "I know. It's odd. But they can't leave the planet without us knowing. We still have one ship up there"

"Yes, but for how long? We've lost the Olympus, that alone is a massive loss as a result of this operation." he groaned, then held the side of his head.
"They got too cocky, thinking three ships would have been enough. I should have insisted on having more with us, to make this a decisive win. We need to get in contact with the Everest and have them call for reinforcements. If their deep space communicators are even still functional"

River held his shoulder "Calm down, Dasyil. We can do this. This base must be able to broadcast to orbiting ships, if we can find a communications center. We just need to keep a level head and be calm"

Dasyil looked at her, then nodded a few moments after, sighing "Yeah, yeah. You're right, sorry" he said, sitting down on a piece of concrete that had fallen from the ceiling some years ago most likely.

Briggs walked over and looked at the two "We're nearly through the door, she says"

Dasyil glanced up at him and took a moment to absorb what he said, before exhaling and standing up "Right, okay" he said, as they gathered around the metal door.

Taking point, the Badgers lined up in front of the door to defend those on foot from anything that might be on the other side.

With one nod from Dasyil, the female engineer pushed a button on the control panel for the door.
They would all hear a series of heavy clanking and chunking noises from behind the walls, as the mechanically operated blast door began to slowly move upwards and vanish past the ceiling with a hissing from hydraulics.

The gap between the door and the floor was not even knee hight when they would feel an immense heat rush through the gap and fill the tunnel, as well as the loud sounds of metalwork and heavy machines working away on the other side of the door that had been blocking the sound completely.
Everyone looked between one another, curiosity piquing their interest at what might lay beyond.

River however was quick to get going when the door was completely open.

"Badgers, go first. Make sure it's safe." she ordered, and followed close behind them as they did just that.
As River took the first step over the threshold, the floor became metal, and the heat was almost Venusian.
The room was bare apart from two sets of doors. One larger door that looked like it was made for vehicles, and a smaller door on the wall next to it made for people.
She walked over and pressed the button on the wall that opened the door. It slid to the side with a quiet hiss, and it opened up into a scene that nobody would have thought the Pro-Independence forces were even capable of anymore.

A factory of immense scale, a massive void that spanned acres of land, filled to the brim with automated machines.
Cranes were lifting huge pieces of components for ships that were being built down below on giant assembly lines, all being put together with robotic arms and welder robots.
The heat rising up off of the factory floor was unbearable, and the noise was enough to bother even the hardest of hearing.
However a portion of the factory had collapsed in on itself. A huge gaping hole was in the ceiling far above in the distant part of the factory. An inferno was raging above as a result of the missiles crashing
River stepped out onto the walkway that the door led to in shock, she looked over everything she could and gripped the railing tightly. She could feel anger rising up in her chest, but nobody would be able to tell that from her stoic expression.

Dasyil looked around as some of the other soldiers joined them on the walkway "How do they still have the resources to keep something like this going?" he asked, looking over at huge metal vats that were being poured into moulds for ship hulls.

River didn't look at him, she just turned and looked around for any way to progress "It doesn't matter. We shut it down, kill their commanders, and go home"

Concerned for his soldier, and his friend, Dasyil looked to River and nodded "Okay. But we stick together. This place is dangerous. Who knows what we could run into here"

She nodded, and went to say something to Dasyil, when Briggs walked onto the walkway and looked to Dasyil "Dasyil, sir. We managed to get that bigger cargo door open. It looks like a tunnel that goes around the perimeter of the factory. It's big enough for the Badgers"

"Excellent, good work Briggs. You should go with them and see if you can find anything. Keep contact on the radio" Dasyil said, to which Briggs saluted and returned to the Badgers and a handful of soldiers on foot.

Dasyil went to turn and go over to River, but she put a hand on his shoulder "You should go with them too. It's safer in the Badgers than out here. We don't know what could happen here"

It took a moment for Dasyil to realise what she said, when he frowned and shook his head "No, I'm not just leaving you out here"

River exhaled and gave him a stern look, her eyes were serious "Please" she said, almost pleading.

He was torn, he looked back and forth between River and the door that Briggs went through, before he nodded and exhaled "Okay then. If that's what you think I should do."

River nodded "It is. Don't worry, I won't be alone. I have some soldiers with me as well. Now go, we'll meet up ahead"

Dasyil nodded and returned to the other room and looked to Briggs, who looked over at him and then laughed.

Dasyil was curious at his laughter, but Briggs smiled "You look like you've just been told you can't go out with someone"

He blinked in confusion for a moment before he frowned and folded his arms "You look like someone who's about to be transferred"

Briggs only laughed harder as the other soldiers chuckled and prepared to move through yet another tunnel.