Aurora Ⅲ

Why does it never snow? I wondered, looking up at the sky. The threat of rain hung heavy in the air as I made my way across the streets of Esson. A cold wind blew, biting through my cloak and clothes beneath. I grit my teeth to stop them from clattering together. How can it be this cold, yet still not bring snow? If it didn't snow in these conditions, I feared what might truly warrant such weather.

The Sacred Temple was not far now. I will not turn back, I told myself again. The Messenger would know what to do. He was the holiest man in all of Sacreon, or so they said. His son had gone with Angus to Elsinct, but Messenger Auston remained.

Messenger, I would like your advice on something, I planned to tell him. On the affairs of love.

Anything you ask, princess, he would respond. What troubles you?

Will everything I say here be kept between us? I would ask next.

I will tell everyone you wish for me to tell. Be it that you wish for me to tell no one, I will tell no one. It didn't seem likely he would say exactly that, but it sounded cool in my head.

I still wasn't sure what I might say next. I wanted to ask about love, but what if he found out what I truly wanted? What would the Sacred One say if I fell in love with a woman? I wanted to ask. What Amelia had said before was true, I'd heard, but I had no idea how true. Hope had made me doubtful.

I couldn't simply ask like that, though. The Messenger was perceptive enough to find out what I was going through. I am engaged, I could say instead. But I love someone else. He could offer me advice on that. Should I follow my father, or my desires? What the Sacred One would advise, I was not sure. I'd seen both practices preached by his followers.

Obey your father's command, the Messenger might say. I was not sure if I would be able to bring myself to follow that advice. I would have to leave and spend the rest of my life with Jacob Calder, in a place with no music and no Vanessa, and I would never...

My breathing began to quicken, and I suddenly felt claustrophobic. Follow your desire, I reminded myself. He must say to follow my heart, I need him to... if he doesn't... I felt my breathing slow back to a normal pace. I can do this, I reminded myself. I'll find a way.

A gust of wind blew my hair in my eyes, blinding me for a few moments. I brushed it away in annoyance, but it only came back. Why must my hair be like this? I complained. I was able to keep most of the dull blonde tangles out of my face, finally, by leaving a hand to block them. I must look so stupid, I thought. I never see anyone else stuck like this, why me? The question disappeared from my mind when I saw the temple.

It stood as impressive as it always had, second only to the very castle I lived in. The Sacred Temple was built of white stone and adorned with blue paint to accent the architecture. The golden X of the Sacred One was displayed all over the building; a symbol that predated Richard the Conqueror himself. Even as someone who'd lived in Esson all their life, I marveled a bit at the Sacred Temple before walking through its great oaken doors.

The inside was no less impressive. A long carpet as blue as summer skies led me through benches that could've seated hundreds, should the need arise. The walls were decorated with murals of every battle fought in the Sacred One's name, and Richard the Conqueror's destruction of the Caldera and witch empire was painted on the ceiling above me. They will need more painters soon, I realized. Angus will lead many battles in the Sacred One's name as the war returns.

"Princess Aurora," a wise voice greeted me. I turned to see an older man sitting in the pews. "Have you come to pray?"

"I've come for guidance," I told him.