•|chapter four: the disappearance of wilhelmina andras [present day]

Yvaine felt her heart throbbing in her throat, threatening to burst into a million pieces

An intense chill had encompassed the living room, turning the window glasses foggy. The lights kept flickering with more fervidity, making it seem that they would go out completely at any moment. The growing darkness and the chill made Yvaine feel that the room was closing on her.

But she could not move, not even a single inch. Every part of her body was frozen with both fear and cold. Her spine tingled and gooseflesh had erupted all over her skin that warm July evening. Try as she might she could move her eyes from the lady, rather the entity standing behind her.

It resembled a woman of medium stature, with long, wavy hair that fell till a little above the waist. It had a face like a rose petal and sharp facial features: high cheekbones and a straight nose.

It was clothed in a princess lined dress with ruffles and something like a shawl covered it from neck to below the chest. A sordid grimace was upon its thin lips.

But it was translucent, not solid like any other object present in that room. It was grey and misty and Yvaine could clearly see through what was behind it. The vicious cold which had so suddenly taken over the room emanated from it. What it was she could not understand.

The only feeling that had taken over Yvaine was that of intense fear and restlessness. Although for some reason unknown she kept staring at the entity, she wished to escape from it. She wished to turn away from it and run out of the room. But something held her back, making her grow restless.

All of a sudden a jounce of stabbing pain emerged in the middle of Yvaine's head. She put both her hands on her head as the pain increased beyond bearing. A horrisonant, hissing voice buzzed in her ears.

"Mina...Mina...goodbye Mina!"

"Stop it! Just stop it!" Yvaine yelled at the top of her lungs as the whispers began once more but with more intensity. She lurched away from the entity, her eyes closed in pain. She flailed her arms all around, in a vain attempt to stop the whispers.

Subsequently, Yvaine's hand fell on the glass bottle on the table. And no sooner did that happen, everything, the cold and the whispers extinguished. The pain in the middle of her head ceased as well. A harrowing silence took over the site.

Slowly, Yvaine opened her eyes, her breathing much more relaxed than before. She looked around the room with widened eyes, taking in every detail.

The lights had stopped flickering and shone brightly as before the horrific episode. The glass panes of the windows had cleared away. The chilliness had gone away totally, replaced by the earlier warmth of the evening. Neither could the grey entity be seen anywhere. Yvaine was all alone in the château.