chapter 1 - when eyes meet

Pov: Eliza

The alternative/indie beat of 'Babydoll by Dominic Fike' was heard loud and clear through my headphones, as I walked into school. 

I strut to the rhythm of the song as I pass through a rush of teenagers in the hallway, each one waving a hi at me as I walk past them. I smile at each of them, but the minute I reached my locker my smile dropped into an exasperated frown. 

My backpack falls to the ground from my shoulders and lands with a thud, I wince at the sound but was turned to face Kiera with a huge grin on her face. 

"Good morning sunshine!" she practically yells, If there's one thing that's blatantly obvious about Kiera, it's the fact that she's energetic 24/7. There's not a time in the day where she's not jumping around or well, screaming. 

That's why she's my best friend, I'm kind of low-key & chill, I can't handle loud noises too much (other than her), whereas she's the utter opposite of that; We tend to balance each other out. 

"Hey Ki, what's up" I beam as I stack my books into my locker, I don't bother noticing the noise down the hallway knowing that it's going to be from the guy's football team. 

"You tell me? How was your date with Zach last night?" she asks me, as cliched as it gets, I'm dating the captain of the football team. 

Just like that I feel her shift beside me and a strong pair of hands grab me by the waist, I smile as I smell Zach's cologne through the air. 

"Hey baby," he says into my hair as I wrap my hands around his, "Hi Zach," I turn to face him. His blonde hair was messed up from morning practice, he was wearing coaching clothes and I felt his muscles tighten from his grip around me. 

He pulls me into a kiss, I kiss him back but I know deep in me that I wasn't a big fan of PDA. I never was, especially being with someone like Zach, it earned me the discomfort. I break the kiss when I feel too many people looking at us, I pull away and look at my locker. 

"Um anyways, I was wondering if you wanted to wear my jersey for the game tomorrow? Doesn't it sound cute?" he asks me as his fingers twirl strands of my brunette hair in his fingers. I felt the soft strands in my hair tug as I thought of what to say, that's just going to attract more attention than I already get. 

Kiera nudges me and indicates to me to say yes, & the look in Zach's eyes already gave away the obvious option I needed to choose. 

My mind was at literal war at such a simple decision but I'm fucking indecisive so I just blurted the answer out to get it over with, "Yeah sure." 

As he pulled me into a hug, I felt his entire body wrap around me; my eyes didn't flutter close like I thought they would, instead they met the eyes of another pair of brown eyes across the hallway.

Eyes that I was so used to by now, eyes that I spent nights thinking about when I clearly shouldn't, eyes that didn't seem to leave mine; When his eyes meet mine, I felt drawn in, a certain tension wavering through his gaze. 

Carter's eyes look me up and down as he stands leaning against his locker, his curly brown hair a slight mess from playing basketball, his sweatshirt riding high upon his black sweatpants, and pair of headphones loosely hanging from his ears. 

I felt Zach move as he pulled himself out of my arms, I had forgotten that I still had my grip set on his waist. I let go of him and let out a cough, "Bye babe, see you tomorrow." Zach kisses my cheek and jogs toward where the football team was standing. 

"Zach is beyond hot, Eliza. You are a damn lucky girl" Kiera smiles and slams her head onto the locker playfully, by the side of my sight I see Carter turned to face Cole and Jonah.