"reckless" driving (pt. 2) | daichi sawamura fluff

prompt: (Y/n) takes Daichi up on his offer to be their rebound

warning: none

word count: 783

.・-: ✧ :- second-person point of view -: ✧ :-・.

"To be honest, I didn't think you would try and find me," Daichi confessed. Your eyes slowly drifted across the table to the man sitting next to you. The small coffee shop had patrons flowing in and out at a consistent rate. The scent of freshly brewed coffee, tea, and baked treats wafted in the air. On the walls hung framed paintings and sketches from local artists.

Scattered throughout the dining area sat individuals on their laptops and other pairs enjoying a nice afternoon. You and Daichi had found a little cushion booth in the corner of the shop aligned with a sturdy wooden table. His knee was almost touching yours.

"But I'm very glad you did," Daichi continued with a gentle smile.

"I'm glad I did too," You told him truthfully. "I was a little surprised when you, uh, offered." Daichi let a warm chuckle spill from his lips at your words.

"I was surprised too," He admitted, giving a small shrug. "I promise I don't normally ask out people I pull over on the job."

"I would hope not." The atmosphere was strange, one you had not existed in for quite some time. It was light and airy. It felt as though the butterflies fluttering in your stomach had flown out of your mouth to linger in the air above your head. This feeling felt so new.

Though most of the chat was casual and surface-level, it was pleasant. You enjoyed talking to Daichi, even if the topics drifted from the cute café decor to the weather. It was not just the sound of his voice was not all that brought you joy. 

His eyes were so nice to look at, such a deep shade of brown you could get lost in. He, in general, was so nice to look at. Subconsciously you had noted his handsomeness when you first met, but that attraction was silenced by your own fear during the situation.

"I know it's kinda taboo, but," Daichi shifted the subject of conversation, "would you mind me asking about your last relationship?"

"No, I'm not raw about it or anything," You explained with a small sigh. "I-I saw it coming, really. He only ever really paid attention to me when I was right next to him. It felt like he was only interested when I was in his line of sight." Daichi hummed in understanding.

"That's a shame," He muttered genuinely. "You deserve someone who is interested in you all the time." You felt an irresistible smile creep onto your face, pushing an ache through your cheeks.

"That's very sweet, but you hardly know me," You reminded him with a playful glimmer in your eye.

"Then why don't we get to know each other a lot better?" Daichi suggested, a hint of ulterior motives lacing his words. "So, maybe in a few months from now, I can prove it to you." You laughed, feeling your face suddenly heat up.

"You need to stop flirting with me, because I might actually say yes," You admitted, your gaze rushing to fixate on anything but the man sitting so near to you. You were almost certain he could feel the warmth radiating off of you. It would be so easy to just lean into one another.

"I'd like that, though," He stated with a slightly lower tone than usual. This man was going to kill you. But, somehow, you were not exactly opposed to that cause of death. Perhaps it would be nice to die by his smooth voice and warm stare. His large hands, covered in rough yet soothing skin, may provide a swift and painless demise.

Those hands twitched, filled with the urge to reach up and tuck a stray strand of hair behind your ear gently. Or maybe hold your cheek softly so he could watch as you leaned into his touch with a content smile. Daichi wondered if you would like that. He knew he would.

Abruptly, you reached for a napkin that lay unused on the table. Luckily, you had a pen in your tiny bag so you could scrawl out a series of numbers.

"This was a lot of fun," You told Daichi honestly. "I have to go, but I'd love to do it again sometime." You handed him the napkin with a small grin. Daichi glanced down at what you had written. It was your phone number. Daichi felt a smile break out across his face.

When this little rendezvous was organized, you had done it in person. Just like Daichi had suggested, you stumbled into the local police department and asked to see him. You set the location and date right then and there, amidst the bustling work environment. Now, you were giving him your number.

"Then I'll see you soon, (Y/n)."