Chapter Fourteen

In the silence that followed Mega's announcement, Baskoro turned to Jhaṛa with a deadly kind of calm in his expression. His intentions were so clear that Farah's fight-or-flight reflex processed them before she did. He was making his move. The mutiny was happening. Farah bolted towards Kaz, only to pull up short as Dumadi the pilot blocked her way.

Jhaṛa realized moments later that she was surrounded. At a subtle nod from Baskoro, Mega blocked the doorway from the inside. Baskoro and Cahya did the same from the catwalk landing. Confusion bloomed across Vikal's face. He was the only one left who hadn't known this was happening.

"Wait," he said, struggling past him in an attempt to reach Jhaṛa. "We can talk this out."

"We're done talking," said Baskoro calmly. "It's time to cut that ship loose and see this one change hands."

"Kaz!" hissed Farah.

Kaz's distress radiated outward strongly enough to disrupt her telepathy. He looked at her with haunted eyes, then glanced at Baskoro and huddled back a step, arms hugged across his chest. Run, he said in his mind.

"What are you doing?!"

"Stop it." This time, he spoke out loud. "You won't win. Stop fighting."

Farah reached for her knife and saw panic flash across his face. She clued in to the fact that he was trying to get a message to her via her ability, and refocused.

Baskoro doesn't trust you. I convinced him to leave you alone if I cooperated. I said you were too smart to try to kill anybody after I made allies with the stronger side.

His words hit like a shock of electricity. Farah stared at him, speechless. He'd seen this coming. He'd known. And he'd picked a side anyway. Farah's feet took a step towards him of her own accord, only to hear Run! again as Dumadi's broad shoulders filled her view. Kaz's thoughts were growing panicky. This was wrong. Everything was wrong. He didn't actually trust Baskoro not to hurt her, but he'd gone and sold out the captain anyway, on the hair-thin hope that it would protect him and his sister. No wonder he hadn't told her anything.

"Stand down," said a dangerously quiet voice on the other side of the landing.

Farah froze. She had missed the last part of the exchange between Jhaṛa and Baskoro, but the captain's hand was on the holster at her hip. Slowly, she drew her gun.

"This is your last warning," she said to the three around her.

In the room at her back, Mega pulled out her hammer.

Baskoro's thoughts reminded him not to glance at the mechanic and give the game away. "It is also my last," he said. "Put the gun down, and I will let you maintain some measure of status on this ship."

"I am not interested in your status games."

Baskoro's finger and thumb met in a signal at his side, and Mega lunged. Jhaṛa hurled herself sideways; the mechanic crashed into her and sent them both to the ground. The gun fired. Dumadi dropped with a scream. Everyone else threw themselves at the captain. Farah took two steps and seized Kaz by the arm, but he twisted fiercely and broke her grip. He pushed her towards the catwalks. Farah had her knife halfway out when another gunshot rang out.

Kaz screamed.

Farah felt it. Felt the pain that ripped through his body as if it was her own. Felt his thoughts go blank as he crumpled to the ground. Farah dropped at his side, drowning in horror until she found his thoughts again—until they reappeared through the pain. Her hands flew, searching for the damage. His leg. He'd been hit in the leg. It wasn't bleeding hard enough to have hit an artery. He would live if—