3.11 Young Folks

The car ride home was painfully silent. As I sat in the middle of both Nick and Cyrus, I felt a threatening aura emit from Cyrus.

He didn't once take his eyes off of Nick. I swear he didn't even blink either! But in contrast, Nick wasn't intimidated in the slightest. In fact, he merely smiled at Cyrus.

Once we finally got home, I gave Nick a quick hug as we prepared to part ways. "What's your next move with the whole matchmaking thing?" I asked.

"They're having dinner together tomorrow. So, we'll see how that turns out." Nick eyed me before giving me a sly smile. "I'll tell you how it went after, okay?" He said while ruffing up the crown of my head playfully.

I guess that means it's just going to be Cyrus and me for a while. Maybe it's for the best, I don't want to put Nick in harm's way. I just hope we can spend time together soon. It's fun having him around...

As Cyrus and I quietly made our way to my bedroom, I collapsed to the bed in exhaustion. "That was close..." I mumbled to myself.

Cyrus sat beside me as he cupped my hand. "Tell me the truth. What happened in the butchers?"

He's concerned. But I suppose he has the right to be. He at least deserves an honest explanation. "Rohan isn't a good person." I slowly rose to sit upright to face Cyrus properly. "I think I saw him murder a girl."

Cyrus' face was blank. I suppose he isn't human so it's not like he'll have the typical reaction of a normal person. But it's still unsettling to see him share no remorse.

"Was it to feed?" He asked curiously as he cocked his head to the side childishly.

"What? No. I don't know the reason myself, but I doubt it was to... eat her." I answered with a shudder.

Cyrus couldn't comprehend my words as his face looked visibly pained. He rose to his feet and tried to distract himself with the trinkets on my nightstand.

"If not to feed, then why else? What other reason is there to kill?"

I suppose survival instinct is the only thing Cyrus is sure about. I guess he's unaware of how selfish human beings really are.

"There's a lot of reasons. Revenge, jealousy, love..."

"Love?" Cyrus asked while quickly turning around to face me once more. "People kill because of love?"

"Well, more like a distorted version of love," I explained. Bennett came to mind, but I quickly tried to push him out of my head. "Some... sick people may think killing is what the person they love would've wanted."

Cyrus nodded his head understandingly. As he sat beside me once more, he pulled out a music player along with headphones.

"Where did you get those?" I asked.

Cyrus stared at it in intrigue as he held it up to me. "Stole it from Nick when he brought me to his house. I was... fascinated by it."

Ugh, looks like I'll need to return this to Nick. "What did we say about stealing, Cyrus?" I scolded him like an upset mother.

Cyrus shrugged in response. "This was before I knew it was wrong." Cyrus then proceeded to hide underneath the bed covers.

Hey, is he trying to avoid me now? As I lifted the covers up, I was met with a mischievous grin as I was quickly pulled inside with him.

"Caught you!" Cyrus laughed. "Now you'll have to explain how this works to me!"

There really is still a lot he doesn't know yet... "you put this in your ear." I said while demonstrating by putting an earpiece into my own ear. "And then you hit play and you can listen to music."

Cyrus raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Music?" It looks like this will be a lot harder to explain than I originally thought...

"Look, just try it and you'll understand." I ushered him to put the other earpiece in. Once we both had a headphone in, I played the last song that Nick had on.

Young Folks? What even is Nick's taste in music. I kind of wanted to laugh. I never expected this kind of taste from him!

As we silently listened to the song together, I saw Cyrus secretly tap his foot along to the beat. I guess someone is enjoying this. I have to admit, this particular scene was surprisingly wholesome.

We listened to music together on repeat for the entire night until we both fell asleep. By the time morning came around, we found ourselves wrapped up together in the earphone wires.

Cyrus was still sound asleep when I opened my eyes. I didn't have to heart to wake him just yet. So, I simply laid there beside him.

Eventually, he started to shift in his sleep as he pulled me into his embrace. "Stay with me..." Cyrus mumbled in his sleep.

...

No matter who it is, I can't stay. If I do, not only am I putting myself in danger but everyone I care about too. It would be selfish on my part. I don't want Bennett to hurt more people I care about. So, I can't allow myself to get attached...

Eventually, we got out of bed and headed downstairs to find the house surprisingly empty. Looking around I saw a note on the counter.

Gone to run errands. Clean up the stables for me.

The working day never ends, does it? "Looks like more stable work," I said while holding the note up for Cyrus to see.

Cyrus studied the note carefully before looking at me seriously. "If we finish work early then can we listen to more music together?"

I smiled in response to Cyrus' eagerness. "I'll do you one better. I'll show you how to work that TV over there."

Cyrus' face lit up like a Christmas tree. "Then I'll get started on the stables right away! This way you won't have as much work to do!"

Before I could say another word, Cyrus took off through the back door at the speed of life. Someone sure is peppy.

What followed next was the ringing of a doorbell. Oh, I didn't expect visitors so soon. Is it Nick? Or maybe Ms McCollin forgot something?

Whoever it may be, I opened the door irrespective of the fact. Once I did so, I came face to face with someone I didn't want to see.

"Hey Vana," Rohan said gleefully.