Chapter 2

CLARISSA FOUND herself substituting for a sick teacher on Monday morning.

They don't have so many activities today so maybe you can teach them art throughout! They told her. The nerve!

No one understood that art was not something that should be taken for granted. She loved her job at the school but hated that everyone belittled her because she was an art teacher. She wasn't an art teacher per se but she loved art and she loved children. She strolled around the classroom as the children, not older than six years, made drawings of their families. She paused at their tables and asked them about their families.

"This is my father," one boy named Christian Renoir pointed at the sketchy figures he managed to draw on his paper. "He's never around because he's a businessman." He said sadly. "He travels all around the world and he told me that when I'm old enough he is going to take me with him."

"How old are you, Christian?" Clarissa asked softly.

Christian smiled and put up five fingers. "I'm five!"

Clarissa's eyes widened with exaggerated surprise. "My, you are a big boy, aren't you?"

Christian nodded with a smirk on his face. "That I am, Miss Langston."

And he was quite the charmer, Clarissa noted as she pointed to the black draped figure at the end of his family."And who's this?"

A grin appeared on his face. "That is my uncle, Nicholas. He too is very busy but whenever he comes to visit, he always spends time with me. He takes me around and plays with me. He is the best uncle in the whole world!"

"That is good to know." Clarissa brushed the black locks from the little boy's forehead and tapped his nose with her index finger. "You are a very intelligent young man, Mr Christian Renoir."

"My uncle thinks so too." Christian giggled as he continued with his picture.

After the family portrait exercise, they had a break and went outside for their physical education before coming back for a nap and finally is was home time.

Clarissa was relieved when the bell rang because she was just about done reading all the good story books to the children. They were intelligent and asked questions beyond their years of which some Clarissa found embarrassing to answer.

"Alright!" Clarissa clapped her hands together. "Don't forget all your belongings. Make a straight line and let's head off to the parking lot."

Grand cars were parked at the school's parking lot as the snotty-nosed rich children, as Sidney put it, were picked up by chauffeurs and guardians. Clarissa still ogled them like it was the first time she was seeing them. It was something that she could never get used to. Each teacher came out with their class and waited at the shaded sandstone benches as proud looking women and men came for their children.

"Hey, Clarie!" Pam called her.

Clarissa groaned and turned to her. "Hey!"

"I'll see you afterwards, right?" She winked at her.

Why did Clarissa have a sinking feeling that she was going to regret it? "Alright."

"My treat!" Pam exclaimed excitedly.

Clarissa humphed and felt her hand being squeezed lightly. She looked down and frowned that only Christian remained on her side. He didn't look too happy and Clarissa felt a pang in her heart for the sad child. What kind of man would be too busy for his son? And what about his mother? Couldn't she get some time off and just spend it with him? Couldn't they see that they were making it hard for their son?