•|chapter eleven: the picture in the newspaper [present day]

Yvaine could barely resist herself from sprinting down the sidewalk

She was on her way to Oleander's rented apartment, the photocopies of the newspapers tucked safely in her handbag. Amberly had gone ahead of her with various eateries which she believed was an essential part of any discussion, something which could not be missed at all.

But given that the road to the hospital went through the market square which at the evening hours were filled with people browsing in the shops or eating from the food vendors, she decided against it. Because then the news would spread like wildfire that the new librarian was in reality a lunatic. Andrasville after all was a very small town, even if its residents were uncannily quiet and averted themselves from the gossip of any kind.

Yvaine frowned at this thought. She had never seen it this way but walking through the market square that evening, she couldn't help but feel something was very wrong with the townsfolk. The shops were bustling with men, women and children of various ages. Yet none of them spoke with the other or made a noise, not even the children!

Instead, they walked in neat lines behind one another, mechanically browsed through the shelves, paid for them and came out as soon as that was done. A few browsed their phones while standing in the lines. The same could be said about the food stalls.

She shook her head. There was something very strict and school-like about this town. Back in her hometown at around this time, the town would be a carnival of cacophony.

Children would jump and scream, men often got into debates and brawls with each other while the women would gossip without stopping. People would always fight while standing in lines and the food vendors often found it difficult to serve the competing customers.

It was not anything like Andrasville. Even though Yvaine preferred quieter towns than bustling cities, she missed her hometown. Andrasville was too discreet, too disciplined. Maybe that's why her grandfather liked this place so much. He too led a strictly disciplined life.

By the time Yvaine stopped at the entrance to the little yellow apartment, the sky above had turned a shade of deep golden brown. The sun had already disappeared beyond the horizon, whilst the last longer light of the day flitted through the fluffy clouds. She was only about to start for the stairs when suddenly Yvaine remembered that she did not know on which floor was Oleander's apartment.

Luckily for her, a young woman in a short black dress with rainbow coloured hair walked out with a tiny pug on a brown leash. Sighing in relief she advanced towards.

"Um, hello!" Yvaine greeted the girl with a smile. "Can you tell me which apartment has been recently rented out?'

"Oh, hello!" Waved the girl, her hair shining like the morning sun. The pug gave out a little welp and began to lick Yvaine's ankles. "Do you mean the apartment where that tall old man lives? The historian?"