Voices in the Void (pt. 2)

Rain-Born stared into the burning bonfire she and her companion huddled around – the tiny flickering flames casting their long shadows up the confines of the tunnel.

She assumed it was night, judging by the weariness that had smothered herself and Jespar in the last few hours. In this tunnel, surrounded on all sides by the unknown dark, Rain-Born felt a real sense of uncertainty for the first time on her journey. Was this the test the Changeling had given them? To wander forever through the gullet of this monolithic metal worm the denizens of the old world had left behind?

She had followed the lead of her companion and roasted some of the other scurrying rat beasts that made their homes in the worn-out wreckage that lined the broken road. But hunger was beginning to claw to the forefront of her senses. Her rations were limited, and she wanted to save them when fresh meat could be found nearby. Still, somehow, the oppressiveness of this iron monster's throat seemed to bear down on her, so every waking moment of movement felt like she was carrying a bloated Stalker upon her back.

Her companion did not inform her if he shared any of these concerns. Indeed, as she stared at him now, he seemed the very picture of tranquil abandon: lying on his side, tongue lolling out and furry belly exposed. His legs kicked out occasionally as though he ran or fought against enemies in his dreams. She wondered again what his purpose was here and why he had not merely left her to her fate in the swamp. Did he really need her to pass through to the Iron Forest? Or was there another reason for his presence?

Such questions were stripped from Rain-Born's mind as her attention snapped to Jespar's belly again, rising and falling slowly. It looked so soft, she thought. And probably provided the creature with ample warmth even in the coldest environments. It was licked clean of the outside poison and now looked smooth enough to touch. Or stroke.

Unconsciously, Rain-Born reached out a hand to grasp the tiny rising ball of fur.

He was soft, she found, and her small gasp of realization echoed quietly around her. And as she drew her hand gingerly down the base of the belly, she felt an odd sensation overcome her – a feeling of calmness and a ticklish sensation as the tiny white fibers of his hair traveled under her fingernails. Never had her skin felt a stimulus like this.

As she gently continued her stroking, she heard him whisper in the confines of his dream world:

"D-Dinner and a...movie first...honey."

Rain-Born stifled a laugh despite herself, seeing him begin to kick and scratch his back paw against the cold floor as her hand moved faster. Becoming more adventurous by the second, she raised her hand to stroke his head and snout and found to her amusement, that the dog smiled and groaned in particular delight when she scratched him behind his ears.

"You want...breakfast?" he whined, smiling with his tongue still protruding from his mouth like a drunkard. "You...gotta...catch it."

And then an unsuppressed giggle escaped from Rain-Born's throat that echoed throughout the tunnel and traversed the sharp ears of the sleeping canine. The playful kicking ceased, and one bloodshot eye flew open to see the huntress mere inches before its face.

Rain-Born flew back in response, clasping both her hands behind her back, watching Jespar intently as he awoke with a start and a sniffle.

"Wha-what?" he asked the squeamish form of the tribal girl before him. "What's happening?"

"Nothing," Rain-Born said, looking at her painted toes before closing her eyes in mock meditation. Then she suddenly became aware of herself – the warmness of her cheeks and the tightness with which she held her arms behind her back. This was unbecoming – she was not a mere mewling babe. She was a warrior of the Hanakh! She had taken the heads of many a foe in battle. What perverse alteration had she just undergone?