10: Master Of School

That Sunday morning, to his surprise, he woke up early. Usually he'd be up by eleven or later on the weekends from staying up. He must've underestimated how tired he was. Eating a bowl of cereal in the kitchen after taking his meds, he scrolled through his missed messages. Apparently some stuff had happened once he left.

Opening a group chat named "The Boys", which he found funny considering two of the people in there were girls, he smiled seeing a picture of everyone having beds set up in Diego's room and others.

Yesterday 11:20PM

Emily: Thx for letting us use ur cousins' rooms D!

He snorted, remembering he had changed Diego's contact name during the movie.

BFG: np, at least someone thanked me b4 passing out

What followed was a picture of what looked like a bedroom with two blow up mattresses, two people per mattress, all covered in blankets.

Emily: lol
Emily: Who's that next to u?

Looking at the picture again, the was another raise in the sheets to Diego's left. The room was too dark to recognize anyone beyond the phone's flash.

BFG: Chase

Sam: boo should've been Jase

Emily: Sam stfu

Sam: tell it to my face sugar I'm right next to you

Diego didn't answer them. Deciding whether or not to say hi, he took another spoonful. "You're up early." His dad said, coming into the kitchen to grab coffee.

Elijah nodded. "Mo-uh-Clara said she had to leave early." He remembered the brief hug and I love you she gave him before she rushed out of the house. Her uniform's shoulder no longer dusted in powdered sugar.

His dad chuckled, putting a little coffee pod in the machine and pressing a few buttons. "You can call her mom, Elijah."

He just nodded, taking another bite of cereal. It wasn't really a matter of being allowed, but rather him still getting used to her being his mom. "I know." Scrolling down his texts, he remembered a certain deal he had made with a particular blonde football player. "Can Chase come over?"

For whatever reason that caught his dad's attention. "Why?" There was something a little off about the way he asked, but Elijah paid no mind.

"We have some of the same classes and he heard I did well in school the last two years, so he asked for some help." He came across a text from an angry Carson telling the three of them to stop blowing up the group chat.

His dad thought for a moment, continuing to fix his coffee before starting to make himself breakfast. "Maybe. You've only known them for a week though, right?"

"What do you mean?" He looked up from his phone, confused by the question.

"I mean, are you sure you trust him enough?" The whisked mixture of milk and eggs was nearly poured right onto the stove before his dad realized he forgot the pan. Grabbing one from a drawer he set it out and decided he wouldn't attempt to make eggs right on the burner. "Yes, he can come over, but I want to make sure you're comfortable."

"Yes, dad, I'm fine." He knew he meant well, but the slightly overbearing worry his dad had was a bit annoying.

"Don't roll your eyes." Elijah threw his hand up, brows furrowed. "Your tone gives it away." He snuck an eye roll and took another spoon fool of frosted mini wheats into his mouth. "Do it again and I'll change my mind."