Tip: Showing Emotion

Something similar has been discussed in a couple of the other tips, but how exactly should you show emotion when you can't tell readers outright how the character is feeling? Below are some Dos and Don'ts of writing emotions along with some tips on how to work on or fix them.

Don't: Use too many dramatic statements/gestures or not using enough.
What do we mean here by dramatic? We mean the characters overreacting to or blowing out of proportion small things that don't normally warrant that type of reaction. A too dramatic scene may include a character constantly pouring out their heart with over-the-top statements. A too bland scene may include only a description (possibly one that's too detailed) of things that are occurring. 
Tip: One way you could fix this is to have someone else read the story. Ask them what they felt or how they think the characters feel. Once you get their answer, try making some adjustments and have them read it again until it feels right. For a little extra punch, try to place the most provoking words at the end of your sentences.

Do: Keep your characters consistent.
People face life with different dispositions that determine their reactions and our reactions tend to be fairly consistent. While our characters grow as we write (or we hope they do, anyway!), their personality needs to remain consistent. If they're typically matter-of-fact with little room to imagine what may happen, they need to remain that way throughout the story. People rarely change drastically overnight, so a slow change in your character is more realistic than a sudden one.
Tip: If your character is going to have a major change in outlook, thinking, or personality, build up to it gradually. Think back on a point in your life where your outlook or thoughts on something was very different. Compare that to how you think of things now. Use that growth as an example for your character's growth.

Tip: If you're someone that likes to plan your story, this one is for you! Try writing out how your character reacts to certain situations and use that as a guide as you write. Getting to know your characters and having a reference for their reactions can make the writing process go a little smoother and your characters a little more consistent. (It can also help track their growth!)

Tip: If you don't plan out your stories, this one is for you! Have in mind the overall tone you'd like your story to have. This will be a big help to figuring out your characters' personalities as you go. If you get stuck on how your character should react in a certain scene, borrow from reality. Look for a similar relationship around you as the characters in the scene, and observe how the people interact. Make notes if you feel like it. (These notes can be saved for future stories!) Use what you saw in the scene. Adding something from real life into a scene in your story can breathe a little extra life into your characters.