Chapter 4: The Showing

"I told you already, Logan. It's okay."

From the other end of the line, I hear him sigh.

"I promised you that I would come, though." His sexy voice says in a firm tone.

"And," I begin. "Sometimes things come up. Go on, spend the evening with your father, Mr. Mayor over there." Chuckling, I pull out my nice white button up shirt, along with my midnight black dress pants and matching shoes.

"Caleb."

"Logan." I say back to him in the same strained voice.

Okay, I'll give it to him. We've known each other for about a month now and he's still this dedicated to being my friend. Usually, people just meet me, talk for a week and then drop me. But no, Logan is different. I'm different.

"Where is he bringing you?" I ask, veering the topic to a new place.

He sighs and I hear it through my cellphone's speaker.

"I don't know. Some seafood place." He mutters and I can almost see him looking out his office window in contemplation.

"That's ironic." I quip with a grin as I slip off the t-shirt I've been painting in all day. As

I push my arm through sleeve I hear him ask, "Huh?"

"You hate seafood, don't you?" I ask him back.

"Well, yeah." He lets out. "I can't believe you remembered that."

"What can I say? I'm multitalented." I smirk to myself as I begin to button the top.

As I get up two buttons, I feel the cellphone pressed firmly against my ear begin to drop from my shoulder. Ignoring the device, I continue on with the conversation.

"Do they serve anything other than food from under the sea?" I joke, beginning to hum the lyrics to the famous Disney song.

"Steak, pasta." He lists for me, no doubt holding out two fingers.

"Good, is that it?"

"Caleb, they're famous for their lobster. That's all they serve." He chuckles.

"Well, I think you should tell them to take the lobster and stuff-"

My phone falls from my shoulder and onto the floor, bouncing once, twice and lands on the third.

"Crap." I groan. Bending down to snatch the phone from the floor. "Uh, hello?"

"Multitalented, you said?" His glorious laughter fills my ear and I can't help but blush in response.

"Shut it."

The two of us stay on the line laughing for five more minutes before I tell him good luck at dinner and him to me for my showing. After we finish speaking, I toss my phone onto my unmade bed next to my wallet. Stuffing my belt through my dress pant's loops, I pull them up.

When I walk into the bathroom across the hall, I nearly trip over one of my many painting easels. Cursing to myself, I button my pants, snatching my toothbrush from the holder, I slather some toothpaste on top of it and begin to brush my teeth. A low ringing sound is heard and I can't help but feel edgy when it sounds.

I know exactly whose ringtone that is.

Spitting out my the contents of my mouth, I sprint to my bed, grabbing my shaking cellphone from my sheets.

"Hello?"

"Hello to you too, little brother."

"Hi, Aiden." I mutter, walking back into the bathroom I pick up my toothbrush and continue talking to him. "What's going on?"