Chapter 6

We were all gathered around the hall, waiting for the drivers to prepare the cars. There was excited chatter in the crowd. Of course, they were all excited to find their mate or spend the night with them. The three Alphas were standing in front of us all, waiting like the rest of us.

Caine was still attending this, um, event, does that mean he's also looking for a mate? Or is it just tradition? Or does he want a pure-blooded wolf as his mate? My wolf whined at my head because of my thoughts.

Wolfie, you need to get real here. Face reality, I told her in my mind.

I can't, we're basically half of each other, she whined. It's the mate-pull, the mate-bond, and instincts!

I guess she can never let go of her obsession of our mate. The limousines were ready, and we were all getting in. They allowed us to pick who we ride with, except the Alphas since the three of them would be riding together, they get extra space because they were the Alphas obviously.

I was pushed into one of the limo's by Liana. "Don't even think of finding another limo to ride in, we helped you do your hair and dress you up, so consider this as returning the favor," she immediately said before a blonde girl in a revealing dress climbed into it.

When the blonde girl tried to climb on the limo, Liana blocked her with an arm. "Full, all taken." Then Liana climbed into the limo and I climbed in after her. The blonde girl's lip twitched, then she climbed into another limo. Charlotte, Liana, Ryder, and Brody sighed in relief, I think the driver also did too.

I relaxed my shoulders in the leathered seats. "Guys! There are a lot of snacks in the holders at the sides," Brody said while opening a box of Goldfish crackers, cheddar flavor.

"These are my childhood favorite!" I exclaimed, getting a box from my side. I opened the box and popped the goldfish-shaped treats into my mouth.

The drive took about 10 minutes, and we were there already since the Pond of Dreams was near pack lands. I got out of the limo along with the rest, Charlotte dragged me towards the other side of the pond, where Cherry Blossom trees blossomed in the night sky, the moon was still full, but it didn't affect the wolves on this day. I looked around, the place was filled with werewolves, chatting around and making new friends to mingle with. Those who found their mates were filled with joy, while the rest were just spending the night with others on the grass.

Charlotte leaned on the tree and sat down. She patted the space next to her, motioning for me to sit beside her. We sat side by side, gazing at the clear night sky, the sky was sown with stars, we gawked at its beauty.

"Have you found your mate?" I asked out of curiosity.

She sadly nodded her head. "He died in a war with the vampires a few decades ago."

My eyes widened at what she had said. "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to bring up some bad memories."

"It's fine, he wasn't that much of a mate anyway, he didn't care, he said mates make people weak," she said weakly. "He didn't even acknowledge my existence, he even had a girlfriend and didn't bother to hide it from me, I was kind of glad he died and no one can blame me."

We sat there in silence for a few moments, I saw Caine speaking to other Alphas and other werewolves, I wasn't even surprised that he hadn't checked up on me. He almost always ignored me after all.

I stared at the Cherry Blossom tree we were sitting on, a leaf fell off of its branches and went on top of my lap. A man with caramel brown hair and a pair of hazel eyes suddenly walked up to us, he smiled at me. "Hi, I'm Theo, would you like to spend the night with me?"

I looked at Charlotte who was still staring at the sky, looking lost in thought. When she saw me looking at her, she nodded. "I'll be fine, I just need some time to gather my thoughts."

I nodded. Theo held his hand for me to take and helped me up. We then walked towards the pond, he sat down and leaned on the nearest Cherry Blossom tree. He nodded at the space next to him and I obliged. His arm draped over my shoulder. "So, have you found your mate?" He asked. The question came from out of the blue.

"Sort of," I murmured, not really knowing if a mate is considered as a mate if they ignore you almost every day.

"What do you mean sort of?"

I sighed. "I mean, I have a mate but he barely talks to me."

"He's dumb, but if your mate won't spend the night with you, I will," he reassured me. "I mean, it's not like I have anyone else to spend the night with."

"Oh, have you found your mate yet?"

He nodded his head. "My mate died before I met her, not that it matters since it's been years, and even if I could have met her, she was human."

"Sorry," I whispered, not knowing why a lot of people here have lost their mates. I honestly felt bad for them even though I hadn't done anything wrong, except for bringing back bad memories.

"It's fine, like I said, it's been years." He pulled me closer so that I could lean on his chest. We were both lonely this night, so why not spend it with each other?

We chatted and talked for a few minutes, still in the same position. I snuggled up onto his chest, making myself comfortable. His arm was still draped across my shoulder, helping me get warm in the cold night. A few birds tweeted happily on the branches of the tree we were under. When I looked up, I realized they were nightingales.

We were having a good time together, but, of course, someone had to ruin it. I heard angry footsteps marching towards us. We both looked up to see Caine. And he was furious.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU BOTH DOING SNUGGLING UP ON EACH OTHER?!"