Chapter 16

Jay looked up at the sky lazily, impatience stirring inside of him. He and Lloyd still had more baskets to deliver, but the green ninja had never come back out of the field he had gone into. Did he fall asleep or something? Jay thought grimly.

He glanced sideways as Nya, Zane, Kai, and Cole came over to him, bringing two empty wheelbarrows. They gazed at him expectantly, and Jay frowned as he looked at his wheelbarrow that was still half-full. Then he glimpsed at the field again, but there was no sign of Lloyd. Heaving a sigh, Jay turned back to the others.

"You guys go on ahead," he told them. He grimaced. "We might be a while."

Kai nodded and turned around, and the other three followed him as he headed down the street. Jay watched them fade into the distance before turning his gaze back to the field, waiting for Lloyd's appearance.

Finally, the stalks rustled, and the green ninja staggered out. Jay snorted and went over to meet him.

"Did you get lost or something?" he questioned.

Confusion clouded Lloyd's gaze. "Er..."

Jay realized Lloyd didn't have the basket of food. "Where's the food?"

"I... uh... couldn't find it," Lloyd mumbled.

Jay furrowed his eyebrows, suspicion mounting inside of him.

Lloyd looked up and gazed around. "Where are the others?" he asked, clearly changing the subject.

Jay sighed as the two of them headed back over to their wheelbarrow. "They left for home," he explained, looking down at the barrel with a frown. "They finished their jobs."

When Lloyd didn't reply, Jay glanced up at him again and saw his eyes glittering with satisfaction. Jay huffed. "What are you planning now?" he muttered.

Lloyd chuckled and pulled out a satchel, slinging it over his shoulder. Jay blinked. "Did you always have that?"

"I have my ways." Lloyd shrugged.

Jay felt even more befuddled. "So, what's in the bag?" he inquired.

"Stuff," Lloyd answered vaguely.

Jay stared at him, frustrated. "Well, whatever's inside, it seems pretty full," he commented. "What do you need all that 'stuff' for?"

Lloyd chuckled again and gave the blue ninja a nudge. "There's a reason I picked you as my partner," he said, ignoring the question. Then he turned around and began heading forward. "Come on."

Jay tipped his head, glancing at the wheelbarrow again. "But aren't we supposed to..."

Lloyd looked over his shoulder. "Ah, the villagers can get their own food," he scowled. "Now let's go."

"Go where?" Jay wondered to himself. He watched Lloyd head toward the other end of the village, away from the way they came in. Puzzled, Jay raced after him.

Lloyd squeezed his way out of the village from the other end and entered into the forest. Jay followed him, wondering what this was all about. Lloyd didn't hesitate to continue deeper into the trees; he seemed to know where he was going. Unease swarmed inside of Jay as he glanced up at the sunset.

"We should be heading back," he called to Lloyd. "It's getting late."

Lloyd grinned and didn't stop. "Perfect," he breathed.

Jay gulped and continued to follow the green ninja as he weaved through the trees. The air began to grow colder, and Jay flinched as a drop of snow fell on his nose. It was then he remembered Wu's warning of an upcoming snowstorm. He shivered as the wind blew stronger against them.