twenty three | the confrontation

Next day comes faster than expected, the clock ticking on my early morning clumsiness as I dash in my pyjamas and into the bathroom; brush in one hand and my job profile details pulled up on my phone on the other, I am able to get into decent formals by a time that wouldn't get me laid off on the very first day of joining. I dab a reasonable amount of magnolia rose perfume on me, praying to all the gods out there to save me of the sweaty armpits, and that I don't get another call from my mother about how's it to be independent. Financially is in the undertone of it, meant to prick me in the right places when said in her melodious voice.

Although, it's fairly the last of my worries after all the dynamics I've got at play here. Avoid Chase. Don't bawl your eyes out in front of Chase. Keep it all away from Harvey. Keep Harvey away from Chase. Go scream in a pillow every night until you're here. Doesn't seem as comprehensive or unattainable as long as I handle it all with dignity and not make a bitter concoction out of the dreaded past and the gloomy present. I don't have a plan necessarily, but the relief of heading to office at fifty four, Saks Avenue, a place I couldn't possibly be stirred into drama is enough to get me by. What happens later, we'll figure out later.

"You're leaving already? I made you French toast for breakfast. They've got cinnamon," Elise, swaying to Beyoncé in the kitchen, decked in a sunny yellow apron and a scarf on her head, tries baiting me into staying another ten minutes, and I nearly consider as well.

"I'm so sorry, but I've really got to go. The cab's here too."

She grudgingly sets the grill pan down, yet the plump of her cheeks never goes away. "Well then, have a great first day. Conquer them all and win the game," she shouts behind me, my trippy feet almost turning back with curiosity raging through me. "Sorry, soccer mom habits," she chuckles, and manages pulling a smile out of my flustered self, almost reminding me of someone with similar faculties.

As expected, it takes me a good forty to forty five minutes to make it to the multi-storeyed building of Econ Sports, and it doesn't help that my designated floor is thirteenth. On my way up, I share the elevator with a few guys from last night, exchanging curt smiles and tipping cappuccinos on our way. One of them guides me to my assigned cubicle, the only one bereft of an array of sticky notes and pictures stuck to the walls separating the two sides. Stilettos tapping against the linoleum floor, I take a seat on the cushy chair and begin scanning through the mails on the PC. There's only one official mail and it's from Thiabult Polanski, asking me to the conference room on an urgent basis. I'm not sure who that is, but make my way up to the conference room with marked directions, hoping it's not a meeting I'm late for. A rap at the door followed by a meek come-in becomes my cue to step in, only to find the least expectant of sights in front of me. "Is that a turkey?"

"Happy Thanksgiving!" A bunch of employees rise from beneath the table; Harvey and Naina among them, laughing to themselves. I had no idea it was thanksgiving today, it slipped my mind altogether amidst... well, everything that's been going on lately. "You didn't really think of working on your first day, did you? On thanksgiving?" Naina raises an eyebrow, the answer clear in my wordlessness and innocent shrug. "Come on, we're happy with one work machine, there's no need for another. Please don't give this chiseled misery any company," she points over to Harvey, who flicks her off with an eye roll.

He then walks up to me, appearing strained until I take it to clear the air and spare us both the awkwardness and the need to hide away, when he's all that I've got right now on my side. "About last night... I ran into someone old and we're not on best terms, so I went a little berserk I guess."

"Okay," he nods, a flicker of confusion evident on his face. "But how're you now? You're feeling fine?"

I didn't see that coming. "Yeah, I'm better. We don't have to talk about it, though, it wasn't a big deal really."