|3| Unwanted Advances

EMARA

I look out the window, and my breath stalls for an entirely different reason than before. It comes out in a whoosh, and I resist the urge to roll my eyes.

The person in front of the door slicks his salt and pepper hair back and knocks on the door again. "Emara? Are you home?" His voice is rough and nasally while holding an air of arrogant power to it.

I feel shivers run down my spine at the sight of the man. It isn't fear that makes my heart pick up its pace, not enough to make me board up my doors anyhow. It is revulsion and discomfort. He may be a creep, but I was in no danger of him. My hand still shakes as I move to open the door. I take a deep breath as Bear continues to growl, then turn the knob and prop my hip on the door frame. "Hello, Mr. Morrigan. What can I do to help you?" I respond curtly, keeping my voice smooth. This man is the makeshift mayor of our practically empty town. I could feel his stare whenever I came into the town center to trade recently. 

"Please, call me Ried. How many times must I tell you?" His lips twist into a sickly smile.

I hide my shiver at his strange advances. He is old enough to be my father, I inwardly gaged. I feel a small hand rub my own, and I look down, shocked.

Jace looks up at me with wide, curious eyes. He holds out his arms, asking me to pick him up. I willingly oblige, my confidence coming back as his little fingers wrap around my shoulders.

"Of course, Ried." I comply. Better not to anger him. "Now, what can I do to help?" I ask, not genuinely wanting to help him with anything.

He raises his eyebrow at the small child now in my arms and waves his hand toward him. "Who is this?" he questions incredulously, not responding to my earlier question. "I thought you only took in those two girls about a year ago."

"I found him in the woods yesterday," I reply dryly. My tone turns a bit more polite with my next question. "Have you not seen him around? I was going to find his parents, and if not, keep him myself." Jace grips my neck tighter.

Mr. Morrigan clears his throat, "No, I haven't seen this child, and no one has come looking for one either." He smooths his hair again and adjusts his jacket before changing the subject. "I came to make you an offer." His mood changes as he grins like the Cheshire cat.

My insides drop, and I stand as straight as a board.

"I want you to be my wife."

The overpowering smell of his cologne makes me feel dizzy. It's an overwhelming charcoal and minty smell that was trying to mask with something smokey and peppery. Cigarettes. His smile makes me sick. It is the kind of smile of someone who thinks they have a person with no other choices. I wonder if he got his other two wives this way.

It isn't uncommon for men to have more than one wife. They assume it is the best way to repopulate the earth... but it is still awful. Women are treated like commodities. Like objects. My stomach twists at the thought of living like that.

"I can give you a nice house, and you won't have to live...here." He gestures to my childhood home as if I should be ashamed. "I can give you plenty of food, too." He says as if I was a child. I shiver again, thinking of how much older he is compared to me. "I could even give those children to someone else, so you wouldn't have to waste your time taking care of them."

My temper flares, but I hold it down, knowing it will just inflame the situation. "No. I am pleased with how things are now." I nod sharply, letting him know I am done talking. My hand wraps around the door's handle, and I start to pull it closed. I want to be loved, not treated as an object just to satisfy someone.