Chapter 3 - Amy

Amy's small town, church-girl life had been seamlessly perfect until exactly two weeks ago. Which was why it was such a relief she was finally settled at Indiana Northern - it gave her the chance to forget about the single misstep she'd made back home and focus on the next four years of doing well in classes, cheering Adam on at every single football game, and planning for their life together once he'd either gone pro or earned his business degree. Or both.

She was a lucky girl, and she knew it. Hardly anyone had the luck to be spending four years with the love of their life, to have a plan in place so that the sailing would be smooth the whole way. Yes, thinking about what had happened was still a bit fresh and painful, but Adam's words right after they'd found out - "We can get through anything, babe. I know we can," - rang through her memory like a prayer. He was the only other person who knew about it, what it meant they had lost and gained at the same time. She believed him, because he was her future. He was all she'd ever really wanted, and he would make anything her heart desired happen for her. He'd promised.

She hitched her purse over her shoulder and glanced at the framed picture on her desk one more time before heading out - she and Adam at prom, just three months ago. Everything about that day had been perfect - from the corsage to the DJ playing their song for the last dance, to the hotel room Adam had surprised her with afterward. Even though that was the night everything began to change, and so much was different now, at least their relationship would never show it. Amy's phone buzzed against her palm, and she turned the screen out to see a message from Adam.

Hey baby. Meet outside admissions at 5? I want us to have dinner.

He was always thinking of her. Amy could barely keep the smile off her face as she let her door fall shut and turned toward the door, nearly walking head first into Arielle, one of her new roommates. The girls laughed, but Arielle's excitement to get out the door was obvious.

"You going to the Student Activities Fair?" Amy asked, scanning Arielle's outfit. She dressed in trendy jeans and left a trail of just-showered scent with every move she made, even though Amy knew neither of them had ventured down to the showers yet. Compared to Amy's small-town style, Arielle's outfit looked like it had come straight off a runway.  It made Amy regret not giving more thought to the way she dressed. She tugged at the hem of her cheer squad t-shirt and chanced a tentative smile at Arielle.

Arielle nodded. "Yep. I'm going to surprise someone, actually. Doesn't know I'm going here. Yet." This girl's smile was so full of joy that it lifted Amy's heart.

"Want to walk down together? I need to meet someone at admissions and I have no clue where that is."

Arielle laughed. "I have no clue either."

Amy nodded and smiled to herself as she left the Suite[B1]  first, holding the door for Arielle. Yes. Everything was going to be just fine, after all.

***

When Amy had envisioned life at Indiana Northern, she saw a large-scale version of high school. But this was different in so many ways. For one, crosses were everywhere.

Amy had gone looking for the "religious life" section of the Involvement Fair, sure. Dad would definitely be wondering whether she'd settled on a church for weekly services, and sending a flyer with a worship schedule home should be enough to appease Mom and Dad, as well as Adam's parents.

But she hadn't expected there to be this many Christian groups. She scanned the crowd. Adam had told her he'd meet her outside Admissions, which was straight ahead, but he was nowhere in sight. Arielle had already run off toward some girl she knew from home, and it made Amy nervous to be alone.