2

Daisy

There are at least six cars parked along the street in front of the three story home with bright green shutters and a deep forest green door. If it weren't for the cars and the fact that it's at the end of the cul-du-sac where there are two fraternity houses, I'd say it looks promising. As it is, I have a sinking feeling in my gut.

But I need a place to stay. And this house is only five minutes from campus. I can walk to class if I have to. Given my finances, that's a distinct possibility.

This is one of the few houses that actually has a fenced in yard too with a pool in the back.

Finally finding a place to park, I get out of my old Honda and walk up to the front porch. The flowerbed lining the paved stone walkway is a nice touch. They look well tended to so maybe the people who live here aren't airheads or party till you die people.

The girl who answers the door looks like she'd rather be anywhere but here. Her expression is what my granny would call a sour puss. She's beautiful though. Long golden blonde hair and crystal clear blue eyes. Great figure and enough cleavage to make any guy come to heel. 

"Hi, I called and talked to Jenny about the room that's for rent."

The girl stands back and waves me in. "I'm Hailey. Go sit in there and I'll find her."

Okay, so that's not the welcome I was hoping for. She's obviously one of those girls who doesn't associate with anyone not up to her standards. She eyed my faded jeans and unicorns fart rainbows t-shirt like they were committing a crime. Too bad for her I love my crazy weird t-shirts. I have two whole suitcases full of them.

The living room has a huge sectional that takes up most of the space. A massive TV that has to be bigger than any I've ever seen is directly across from it. Light gray curtains adorn the windows and the same color carpet looks clean. That's a plus. Dirty carpets are a no go for me. Been there, seen that enough to never want to again.

"Hey!"

I look over to where another girl comes in. Hailey seems to be nowhere in sight. This girl looks friendly enough. Her dark brown hair is done in pigtail braids and brown eyes made for laughing are the welcome I was hoping to get. She seems super bubbly, but I won't hold that against her. 

"Hi, I'm Daisy. You're Jenny?"

"I am. Come on over and sit down. I was about to give up hope on finding someone to take the room."

"Why, if you don't mind my asking? This seems like a great location."

"Oh it is. When it's warm, most of us walk to class, but I'm picky about who I let stay here. There are six of us here now and our boyfriends are all athletes. We have to be a little picky about our roommates. Stalkers, psychos, and all around wanna be baby mama's are after an athlete. Not all of them care if they're currently taken."

"What makes you think I'm not a wanna be baby mama?"

She grins. "Hutch recommended you."

"So?"

"He's never once called up and looked for a place for any girl. That says a lot."

"He was a nice guy and I appreciated him trying to help me find a place a stay. I'm currently living out of a hotel room."

She grimaces. "I did that when I first moved here. It wasn't fun. My dad bought this house when I complained about finding nothing to rent within a budget. All of us here split the utilities and the mortgage payment, which includes internet."

"Is that rolled into one payment or multiple?"

"One payment. Rent, including utilities, is six hundred a month. First and last month due up front. When you move out, you get the deposit back minus any damages."