thirty - four

"Dad

"Dad." I whisper while shoving his arm. My hands shake slightly from the nightmare that I just had two doors down. It was about the attack they have planned tomorrow. "Dad!" I shove him a little harder.

"Are you okay?" He slurs from his sleep. I bite my lip and sniffle in response. The dream was so scary. It felt so real. When I don't respond his eyes open. Wordlessly he outstretches his arms. "Bad dream?"

Silently nodding my head I lay next to him. Snuggling into his arms. My eyes sting with fresh tears knowing that tomorrow this could be taken away from me. That my dad could get shot and this time it be fatal. I would lose the only person who could ever provide me comfort.

"Is it about tomorrow?" He asks me as he shifts so I am laying on his chest. Smoothing out my hair he presses my head against his chest, just above his heart. I can hear his steady heartbeat. It's not like mine. My heart is beating so fast I feel it pounding my head.

"I don't want you to get hurt." Him getting shot was terrible, loosing him would be even worse.

"I won't."

"You can't know that for sure. You said so yourself."

Sighing he kisses the top of my head. "You're right. What I can tell you though is that I will do whatever I can to get back home to you safely. While I am at it I know that you will be nice and safe."

"Where will I be?"

"With your uncle. Marco will keep you company at a safe house. You can play games with him and watch movies. If you want before everything goes down we can get you two all the junk food in the world and you can binge eat until I walk through those doors. What do you think about that my baby?"

It does sound quite nice. "Yeah it does, I wish you and Grandpa could stay too. That would make it even extra fun." His chest rumbles under my cheek making me scrunch my eyebrows together in annoyance because he moved my face from its comfy spot.

"How about this," He starts while twirling my hair around in his fingers. The action makes me sleepy, it makes me forget about all of my fears in dreamland. Sleep after a nightmare is hard to come by, yet I start to feel my eyes droop. "When we get back, just you and me, we take a trip. To wherever you like. Then we can come home, catch up on work and school, and then we can go somewhere else. How does that sound?"

"Expensive." I sleepily mumble. Again his chest rumbles yet this time I am too tired to react.

"Where would you want to go kiddo?"

"Italy or Muskoka."

"Muskoka?"

"Cottage country in Ontario, Canada. Theo has a cottage up there."

"Italy and Canada it is then." He says as he kisses the top of my head again. Still fighting sleep I go to rub my eyes but a hand stops me. "You want me to tell you about my mom?"