Chapter 6

Dominique awoke to the smell of eggs cooking.

"Crow?" She sat up, a bit startled.

"You're awake." Crow peeked his head around the cave entrance.

"What's that smell?"

"Oh! I found some eggs in a nest over there," he pointed to the left, "so I'm cooking them!"

Dominique heaved herself up to go check out Crow's find.

"You can't just eat anything you find lying around. These could be poisonous!"

"I know, but I saw your friend, Clio, a few feet down from us, so I asked her. She said she eats them all the time."

"Okay."

Dominique was hesitant to trust the boy she'd just met, but Clio was a wildlife and survival expert. If she said something was safe, Dominique would bet a thousand kurs it was.

"I hope you don't mind, but I used the lighter from your bag to start this fire."

"Nah, it's alright."

Crow had also used Dominique's travel-sized frying pan without permission, but she decided not to bring it up.

"Here you go. Clio also tossed us these napkins if you were wondering."

He served her egg on a small piece of white paper. Then Crow reached to his other side, and grabbed a sliced apple. He offered her some first, then shoved the rest in his mouth.

Dominique thought he looked ridiculous perched there on the edge of the cliff, cheeks bulging with the fruit. She stifled a laugh.

"What?" Crow said through a mouthful of apples.

"Nothing," Dominique replied.

At this point, she noticed how dark it had gotten. There were still streaks of sunlight on the horizon, and the sky was a beautiful purple.

"We'll have to leave as soon as we're done if we want to make it to the next spot by dawn."

Crow nodded as he shoveled the rest of the food into his mouth. Dominique excused herself to go pack their stuff.

They'd both removed their shoes and cloaks to sleep, so Dominique pulled hers back on. She handed Crow's to him.

As he pulled his boots on, Dominique packed up the knife he'd disregarded.

"You'll want this in case we run into anyone."

"I can't fight."

"Just watch me."

She pulled a strap from her bag, and handed it to Crow. Then she pulled up her sleeve to reveal her own knife.

"Attach it like this," She twisted her arm so he could see what she meant.

He pressed the hilt of the knife to his forearm and secured it with the strap. Once he was done, he pulled his jacket over him and tied his cloak around his neck.

Dominique grabbed everything they had gotten out, and stashed the stuff back in her pack.

"Ready?" She looked at Crow and took a deep breath.

"Ready", he nodded and they both exited the cave.

The trip down the mountain was much easier than the one up. All they had to do was secure the hook to the ledge they were on, and shimmy down the rope.

Crow had to stop a few times to rub his hands together. They were very rope-burned, and calluses had started to form.

Well, Crow thought to himself, At least it won't hurt so much next time.