4- The Agreste Brand

Marinette and Adrien stand cowardly in his father's office. The wet sketchbook and its ripped pages sit on his desk and she hangs her head low as he looks through them. She cringes as the running colors stain his fingers and wishes more than anything she were somewhere else.

"These aren't quite what I was expecting," Gabriel admits, dropping a page and rubbing his hand on a handkerchief. "A little more dry, maybe."

Adrien steps forward. "Father, you can't blame Marinette. This morning she was almost hit by a car and she dropped all her things," He defends. "You have to understand."

"I understand completely, Adrien." Gabriel's focus turns on the sketchbook and he grabs the ruined pages, laying them down on a clear scanner. The two teenagers watch in confused awe as images of Marinette's designs appear on the computer screen, her sketches back in original form and full color. Brand new, almost.

"Woah! How did you do that?" Marinette asks, impressed.

"There's a lot of things I can do, Miss Dupain-Cheng." Gabriel scrolls through the pictures on the screen, pausing to think on some. His facial expression never changes and Marinette can't tell if he loves or hates them. Adrien notices the worry growing on her face and reaches a sly hand over to grab and squeeze her hand. She smiles. Gabriel swipes the images away and turns towards them. "Your work is far impressive. It's a shame I'm not able to see your sketches in person."

"I-I can sketch them again. It won't be the exact same-"

Gabriel raises a hand and she stops talking. "That won't be necessary, but I will have your sketchbook sent out and restored. Your pages will be good as new in a few weeks."

"Oh," She whispers. "Thank you."

"As for the internship..." Gabriel straightens his back and stares down at the girl. "It's as good as yours, if you still want it."

Marinette's eyes widen. "Really?"

He nods. "Yes. You are far more talented than the other candidates, and while they were punctual, they were not as exceptional as you are. I'd be honored to have you working for the Agreste brand."

"Ohh! Thank you! Thank you!"

Marinette steps forward to hug his father, but Adrien grabs her jacket and pulls her back and whispers, "He's not a touchy person."

"Right," She whispers back, embarrassed.

"I hope you can start Monday morning after school?" Gabriel asks and she nods. "Please speak with my assistant Natalie before you leave. She'll give you your schedule and explain what's expected here."

"You don't have any idea how happy I am, Mr. Agreste," Marinette starts with a grateful smile. "I can't thank you enough for giving me this opportunity."

He shakes his head. "No need, Miss Dupain-Cheng. The pleasure's all mine." He faces his son. "Adrien, I need to speak with you privately while your friend sees Natalie."

Adrien was expecting this. "Yes, Father."

Marinette leaves and closes the door behind her.

Gabriel turns away from his son and stares out the window. "Your name is in the headlines again, Adrien, but for all the wrong reasons, one I never would've expected."

"I know-"

"So you're Cat Noir." He finally looks at his son. "Right under my nose the entire time. I had no idea."

"I'm pretty good at keeping secrets," Adrien unwilling admits. "And sneaking out." His father frowns. "Forget that last part."

"Being a superhero is very dangerous, Adrien."