INTRODUCTION

you have a place in my heart
no one else ever could have.

( F. Scott Fitzgerald )

AUBREY HALL HAD ALWAYS BEEN A SECOND HOME FOR AMBROSE BRIDGERTON. Growing up, he had found the company of his aunt, uncle and cousins to be rather pleasant, and would often plead with his parents to visit there so he could play with his cousins. Though, he never expected that his stay at Aubrey Hall would one day become permanent.

But death, as always, is inevitable. There is no escaping it. And more often than not, death comes at the most unsuspecting of times, and this happened to be true for his family.

It had been a warm, sunny afternoon when he learned his parents had died in a terrible carriage accident. He had been playing in the yard with his cousins when his uncle, Edmund Bridgerton, had pulled both him and his younger sister, Miriam, aside to tell them of the tragedy. He had been only seven at the time, and his sister much younger, but the boy had never been more certain of anything when he declared it the worst day of his life.

However, many years later, when his best friend would leave both London and him behind, the pain would surely come close enough.

Clara Whittemore had been a part of his life for as long as he can remember. They would play everyday as children, always smiling and laughing together. She had healed his heart after the death of his parents, and Ambrose had never been happier than when he was with her. She meant more to him than she'd ever know.

But then her mother got sick. And when Claude Whittemore died, it changed everything. Suddenly, Vincent Whittemore and his only daughter were packing their belongings and leaving to travel the world that their lost loved one had once wanted to see before she took her final breath. They left behind everything, even the broken heart of young Ambrose Bridgerton as he longed for the company of his best friend in the years to come.