6. Flashdrive

At exact 6 a.m. the next morning the train doors opened and Jamie hurried to find a seat. She looked around but she couldn't find him. Then at the last minute just before the doors closed, he came running in. He looked even worse than yesterday and Jamie instantly felt bad for him, he must have been worried sick about his lost flash drive.

He was a mess as he tried to catch his breath while leaning on a pole. Jamie observed him until he looked around and caught her eyes. Her eyes widened and her eyebrows threatened to disappear through her hair when he walked towards her. He was so exhausted, tired, and worried sick about his missing flash drive but when he saw her reaction on him approaching her a small smile cracked on his face.

When Jamie saw his amusement on her reaction she recovered quickly and frowned,making him laugh a little. "Catch!" Jamie abruptly said and threw the flash drive at him. Now it was his turn to have eyes as big as saucers as he desperately tried to catch the small device flying in the air. He looked really comical trying to catch the small flash drive with those wide eyes that Jamie couldn't help laughing.

A soft 'thud' broke Jamie out of her laughing fit and when she looked to her left, he was sitting beside her. She instantly looked away and coughed nervously as her laughter died out. They were silent as he fidgeted with the flash drive in his hands and Jamie stared hard at the floor. After a few minutes of silence he cleared his throat to get her attention.

"Uh..thank you so much for giving this back, it's very important to me" he said quietly as he stared at his flash drive.

Jamie braced herself and decided to break this awkwardness as she spoke up.

"Maybe you shouldn't have left it lying around then if it was so important to you"

"I didn't leave it lying around!, I didn't even know I lost it until I checked my bag last night" he said still looking at his flash drive and not at anything else. "Thanks for the bread and drink yesterday too, you didn't have to do that" he continued quietly as he began to fidget with the flash drive again.

"Woah, wait, this is getting kinda creepy where's the guy who tripped me and made me fall face first onto the floor and called me a kid?" Jamie scooted away from him as she gave him a weirded out look. He just softly laughed and stroked the back of his neck as he looked down. "I'm sorry for that" a second later he abruptly raised his head back up as an idea hits him and he grinned widely at Jamie " Hey I know! As my thanks for the breads, drink and for returning my flash drive to me I'm offering peace between us"

"So let's start again, I'm Casper" Casper said still grinning as he held out his hand.

"Jamie" she shook his hand as she too smiled a little . "I finally got a name to that asshole who humiliated me weeks ago"

"Hey! You shouldn't call your friend that"

"Friend?" Jamie raised an eyebrow at that.

"Well we're friends now right?" Casper was still grinning at her.

Jamie stared at him for a minute before sighing. "Better friends than enemies" She slumped back down on her seat dejectedly.

"Hey now, don't be like that I'm a great friend to have!" Casper nudged her with his shoulder.

"By the way are you the manager at that cafe?" Casper asked.

"Manager and owner" Jamie supplied and Casper let out a whistle at that. "And here I was, worried that you'll get in trouble for giving free foods to customers"

"Don't worry those were expired goods so it's not a loss" Jamie stated with a serious face.

Casper let out an exaggerated horrified expression as he looked back at her with wide eyes. "How can you do that to me?"

"Well nothing happened to you so what does it matter"

"I'm so pitiful, I've got someone like you as a friend, poor me" Casper looked up and mustered a fake pitiful look.

"You're the one who wanted to be my friend"

"And I’m not regretting that" Casper muttered to himself. Casper looked serious for a moment so Jamie was confused.

"Did you say something?" Jamie asked confusedly.

"Nothing! Now my friend do you mind if I crash at your cafe again?" Casper had a huge grin again and Jamie soon forgot that brief serious look on Casper.

"I don't mind but you should buy something first, preferably the most expensive on our menu"

Casper gasped dramatically at that.

"I'm your friend! You should treat me better!" Casper playfully pushed Jamie and Jamie pushed back. "Imagine how many customers would've sat in your chair if you're not there, if you're going to stay until closing time again we will miss out on a lot of possible customers! My cafe's quite popular you know"

The train ride went on like that until they reached their station. They stood awkwardly together for a moment before Casper broke the silence.

"So uhh... see you around?" Casper looked at Jamie with hopeful eyes as he waited for her answer like he hadn't just declared they were friends minutes ago.

"Yeah sure, see you around Cassy!" Jamie hurried to get away as she said the last word, successfully dodging Casper's wrath.

"Don't call me that!" Casper shouted at Jamie's quickly retreating back, Jamie just turned around to wave one last time. "Bye Cassy!" And so Jamie was all smiles as she left the station.

When she set foot in the cafe Gwen called her out on it immediately.
"What’s up with that smile?"

"Nothing, I'm just in a good mood"

"Good mood?" Gwen raised her eyebrows questioningly.

"Who wouldn't be in a good mood if they wouldn't have to deal with gums, sticky notes, and tissues anymore?"

"What? He's gone?" Gwen asked wide eyed.

"No, I will still see him every morning on the train except that now we're friends"

"What?" Gwen's eyes became even wider and her eyebrows are threatening to dissappear through her hair. Jamie burst out laughing and Gwen smacked her. "Ow! That hurt" Jamie complained rubbing the spot that Gwen hit.

"Be serious with me, are you two really friends now?" Gwen asked her seriously.

"Yeah, why?"

"Seriously?! Fuck yeah! My ship is finally sailing!" Gwen cheered shaking Jamie and jumping up and down like some lottery winner.

"You already said that yesterday" Jamie stated looking at her friend who is still celebrating like there's no tomorrow.

"Oh shut it I can say it how many times I want!"