Chapter 15

'Abort. Abort. Abort.' The voice of reason from deep within me warned. I wanted to ignore it; I almost did, but a split second before I gave in to my unexpected desire, my eyes fell on my phone.

Seven twenty-nine, the screen informed, piercing the haze of lust invading my body.

I cradled Junjun's face and caressed it. He hummed and pulled back, smiling. "Is this what you really want?" I asked softly.

The smile fell from his lips, and he drew back like I was poison. His eyes drifted to my lips and stayed there, "I-I don't know what's wrong with me." he replied, terrified.

"I didn't mind. In fact, I enjoyed it. I am sure many would kill to be in my place right now." I said, trying to lighten the mood, "Do you know anything else about your kind, the shifters, I mean?"

"So, are you saying that you believe me now?"

"Yes, absolutely. One hundred percent." I answered and watched a fond smile bloom on his rich, plum lips.

"To be honest, when I was a child, I was kept away from the shifter talks," Junjun air-quoted the phrase before smiling impishly, "But I did catch a few things here and there. Like, how we were the last of our kind and our blood could save lives in the right hands. It could also heal wounds left by silver," Junjun pursed his lips, "It's detrimental to those weaker than us."

"Like you? What does that mean?"

"Ummm." The boy hummed, contemplating for a few seconds. Then, "Yes! I remember now. We are not the only 'changed humans'; I think most changed humans are allergic to silver. That's what makes us valuable. Maybe that is why I heard my Grandfather was called 'The Guardian of The Reach' or something."

Guardian of The Reach!? Could it have something to do with 'The Reach' that had been popping up in all my attempts at finding the truth?

"To my tween self, all of it sounded like a tale straight out of a fantasy novel. Obviously, I couldn't understand why being special warranted that we keep a low profile. I was often reprimanded because I loved to boast about it. Ma always warned me not to mention it outside our estate." The idol furrowed his eyebrows, "It's strange,"

"Elaborate, please."

"When I was about eleven, one day I was picked up from school and taken somewhere… I can't recall the place. But after returning, I had forgotten about all I had heard in secret or by chance. How is it that I can recall it now!?"

I shook my head, but if I had to guess, I would bet my money that it had something to do with Junjun shifting after getting injected by whatever the fuck that was. Nonetheless, I didn't want to voice my thoughts lest they perturb the idol who already had too much on his plate. I changed the subject, "Did you find anything?"

He flicked his temporary phone open and began hesitantly, "I went as far back as a year. I found a user, Xi007, who seemed more interested in my family and birthplace than my music. That was about six months ago. There is nothing after that."

Over the next few minutes, I hacked into their profile and arrived at a dead end with one name staring back at me: The Reach.

"The Reach. What is that?"

I shook my head, "I don't know." I threw my phone at Jun, gesturing to him to read his brother's messages, "Tell me if you find anything strange."

I gave him a few minutes to go over the texts while I served us dinner: a couple of energy bars and a bag of classic salted chips.

Yes, I know. I know. That is not what I should be feeding my charge. But I reckoned that Junjun was a shifter and could probably make up for the lack of nutrition genetically.