willow

I DON'T WANNA LOOK AT
ANYTHING ELSE NOW THAT
I SAW YOU.
(I COULD NEVER LOOK AWAY)
AND I DON'T
WANNA THINK OF ANYTHING
ELSE NOW THAT I THOUGHT
OF YOU.
(THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME)

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE SURVIVED

It does not do good to dwell on the past. Or, at least, that's what every adult tells a child when they're upset about something. There's nothing you can go back and change now,  so stop thinking about what you did then. You can't change your past, no matter how much you want to. Just the same as you can't predict the future. You can prepare for any outcome that may happen — but you will never know exactly what you need or what events are about to occur. Life was uncertain like that. But it does not do good to dwell on the future either. See, one of the big lessons in life that parents teach their children is living in the moment. It's taught to them from a young age and is a lesson that gets continually brought up. Movies, books, news stories, they all come back to one thing. The carpe diem moment. Seizing the time you have left in the now, using it to do what you want to do. Not what others expect of you. Not what the world expects of you. That's a weight that people shouldn't carry on their shoulders, yet, everyone does. There's an inevitable fear of letting people down, even if it's just one person. Everyone is afraid of not doing the right thing. Not choosing the right path for their life. Because, no matter what, someone you care about will be disappointed. Someone will find an issue with what it is you want to do. What you are currently doing. Who you have become. But, again, it does not do anything good to worry about the past nor the future (tack in others opinions as well, those are pretty unreliable as well).

Augustine Finley is a living weapon designed by her own mother — trained to use her powers to help those in need. She hasn't ever thought about the things she wants. What she wanted to be. Who she wanted to be. No, Augustine Finley fit into a perfectly molded box for every single part of her life. There was the Augustine Finley that paraded around Gotham, a socialites daughter who always had the right thing to say (thank god for all of those classes and lessons her mom put her in as a young child, otherwise Augustine would not be that graceful in those crowds). Then there was August Finley, the only time she felt the most like what she would think she wanted to be. The student and friend of few — someone who made perfect scores and juggled about ten extracurriculars alongside playing three instruments. And finally, there was Nightshade. The counterpart (re: sidekick) to her mother's Nox, the version of Augustine that no one outside of five people knew about. See, Augustine Finley fit into every mold asked of her. Every single mold. Yet, she had never taken a moment to think of what she wanted. Life had always been on a set path in her mine — doing everything that her mother told her to do.