Chapter 6

Bridgerton's Pall-Mall

Bridgerton House, London

Meanwhile Fatima, Lilia and Cora packed hers and her husband's belongings, the Duchess of Kent and Strathearn sat in the drawing room, alone and in silence, reflecting over what her next move should be. The Duke, on the other hand, had gone to get Luna from Kensington Palace. They have been away from her too long, he said, and decided to take her with the family to their trip to Aubrey Hall, a trip Anthony arranged to spend more quality time with the Sharmas, away from the rest of their society.

The events that unfolded last night at the soiree caused such conflict within Charlotte, she did not know what to do.

Out of the corner of her eye, Charlotte had found Eloise, who finally seemed to escape the Dowager Viscountess' grasp. Penelope Featherington stood there for a moment too, until Eloise approached her and quickly hid a piece of paper on her chest through the dress. However, the young lady did not notice a piece of paper falling out of her grasp as Eloise started talking to her, and the two walked away from the area.

"Martin," the Duchess called out to her Personal Guard. "Hand me that piece of paper from over there, would you?"

"Of course, Your Royal Highness," he bowed his head and did as he was told.

"Where is he going?" Anthony asked her.

"Oh, I saw a note falling from Penelope's grasp," she explained. "If there is something important written in there, it is only right someone hands it back to her before it falls into the wrong hands."

"No offense to Miss Featherington," Anthony scoffed. "But would there be really something important written down there?"

"Only dear Pen knows," Charlotte smiled gratefully at Martin as he handed her the note, folded. "Should I give it to Eloise?"

"No," Anthony chuckled. "If you hand over my sister that note, then it will definitely be in the wrong hands."

"Oh, don't be like that with your sister," she giggled. "They are each other's closest friends."

"Ma'am?" Her thoughts of last night were cut off by Lilia. "Everything is packed. Lord Bridgerton has already asked for the carriage."

"Wait," she stood up, and sighed. "There is something I must do before we leave."

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Featherington House, London

"Your Royal Highness!" Penelope exclaimed happily as she made a curtsy for the Duchess of Kent and Strathearn. "It– It's an honor to have you here, really, but... I'm afraid Eloise is not here. That's– Sorry, I'm assuming you're looking for her. My Mama's upstairs, and—"

"Oh, no. That's alright, Miss Featherington... I'm here to see you," Charlotte softly smiled at the young girl. "Is there a place we could talk? Privately, preferably."

"Of– Of course," Penelope immediately nodded, and nervously turned around. "Uh– Follow me, please."

"Lead the way," the Duchess nodded with a smile.

Penelope took deep breaths as she guided the Duchess of Kent and Strathearn to her house's drawing room. Both of her sisters were locked in their respective bedrooms, so even if she didn't expect them to come down anytime soon, she decided to lock the door once the two stepped in the room.

"I– I closed the door so no one bothers us," Penelope chuckled nervously. "And– Please! Please, sit."

"Well thought," Charlotte nodded as she took a sit on one of the sofas. "I wanted to speak to you privately because... I'm sure the next topic of conversation is not meant for everyone else's ears... So I'll be brief."