Chapter 46

Kai

Kai picked Sara up an hour later. He drove home to put the dogs away before stopping to grab some food from their favorite Chinese restaurant. He also did a quick cleaning, making sure that any dirty dishes or clothes were put away. He turned on the exterior lights before leaving.

He pulled into the parking lot at Sara's apartment. His hands were sweaty, and the nerves were coiling around his stomach, turning his intestines into knots. This almost felt like their first date. In some ways it was.

Kai desperately wanted this surprise to go over well. When he had originally planned to do this, he knew it would be received well. Then everything with Chelsea and Kyle happened and now he was nervous. Nervous that she was not ready for it. Nervous that she would reject his desire for them to live together.

He walked up to the door and knocked. His heart was beating fast, and he palms of his hands felt sweaty. He quickly wiped them on his jeans before AJ answered.

"Hey man," AJ greeted as he pulled Kai into a hug.

"Hey!" Kai enthusiastically replied, "Have you settled in okay?"

"Yeah, it's not as fancy as the condo, but I can't really complain. Casey is a great cook." AJ wiggled his eyebrows and shut the door behind Kai.

Walking into the living room AJ asked, "Are you two going to try and work things out?"

"I hope so. We're going to go over to my place, and I'll show her around."

AJ nodded. "I'll go tell her you're here." He headed down the hall towards Sara's room, leaving Kai standing awkwardly in the living room.

He fidgeted with the keys in his pocket while waiting for Sara to come out. He heard some murmurings before AJ came back out.

"So, what's been happening with you? I feel like I never see you anymore." AJ said as he sat on the arm of the couch.

"Well, you're not wrong. It's harder to hang out like we used to. But I'm doing well. Works been keeping me busy as are the dogs"

Sara walked out and joined them in the living room. She looked hesitantly at Kai before speaking.

"Are you ready to go?"

Kai nodded, "Shall we?" he offered his arm to her, and she held on to it. He smiled at her and helped her out to the truck.

"So..." Sara said after Kai helped her into the truck. "What are we doing?"

"Ahh, you'll see" He grinned at her and took her hand. It was still in a cast, and it made holding her hand a little bit difficult. He made an inner fist pump when she didn't pull her hand away.

They chatted about the upcoming semester on the drive over to Kai's. He thought it best to avoid the heavy topics until later in the evening. Not surprisingly, they wouldn't have any shared classes this semester.

Kai turned onto his street and pulled into the driveway soon after.

"What's this?" Sara asked as she looked through the windshield.

He looked over at her, "My place. I bought it a few weeks ago."

Sara turned her head quickly to look at him. "You bought it?"

He nodded, "Would you like a tour?"

"Yes please!" Sara said excitedly.

Kai left the truck and went over to the passenger side to help Sara out. He grabbed the Chinese food and walked with her to the front door.