7

Tanya's POV

"Well well, look who decided to reach out." Yep, that's my mother y'all. "I told Leo not to get so worked up that you'll be fine."

"Yeah," I gulped, feeling sad at the lack of affection in her tone. "I'm fine, no need to worry."

"Now why do you think I'll ever do that," I heard her scoff through the device. "You are a grown independent woman who can take care of yourself aren't you?"

"I am," I blurted and squeezed my lids to calm my irritation at her taunting. "Is Dad close?"

"Nice way to dismiss your mother like always Tanya," she growled and I pretended not to hear till she went on to call out. "Leo, get your ass down here!"

I stayed silent and it came off as if their phone was on speaker because I could heed mumbling and heavy footsteps before a gruff voice asked. "What are you doing here not yet ready, and who the hell are you talking to on the phone when you know we should be out of here in minutes?"

"Dad, it's Tanya," I spoke a little too loudly and hoped he'd hear me.

"Oh my goodness," he sighed, his words clearer as he must have collected the phone from mom. "Sarah why didn't you tell me it was our daughter you were speaking to?"

"You didn't give me a chance," Mom replied and I couldn't stop an eyeroll at their daily dose of argument. One would think they hated each other but being their daughter, I knew it was simply a way they communicated with themselves.

"How are you sweetheart?" Dad asked in concern, his tone mild. "We couldn't get across to you for hours."

"I'm good Dad," I responded, my throat scratchy from holding in the tears at the raw concern and worry in his voice. "I misplaced my phone and you know this town, it'll take a while before I get hold of a new one."

"Good for you, I wonder what you see in that God forsaken place anyway," Mom chipped in before Dad could speak. "That place gives me bad vibes."

"Sarah," Dad called warningly.

"Oh sorry, I forgot you were having a heart to heart talk with our daughter who didn't think twice to end the conversation with me," she uttered sarcastically.

"And who's fault is that?" Dad jabbed and sighed. "Sorry about that darling you know how insensitive your mother can be at times."

"You don't need to remind me Dad," I laughed hollowly, "I've experienced it first hand so it's nothing new."

"I hope you are good," he stated invitingly.

Stilling the truth threatening to bubble out I told instead, "yes dad I am. Also, I completed a book yesterday."

"What's the title again?" He hummed in query to himself and said after. "I got it, 'Patience: A virtue or a curse?"

"Yes that one," I smiled, happy that I had at least one parent on my side.

"Bring a copy for me once it's published," he instructed and I nodded absently, my mood lifted.

"Sure dad," I agreed. "I__"

My words were cut short by knocks coming from the door. I scurried up instantly from my spot in case it was a guard or one of Dante's loyals who would convey to him the image of me perched in his seat. "I'll talk to you and mom tomorrow Dad, the owner is asking for her phone."

"Oh, okay, give them my thanks for letting you use it," he advised and I straightened my attire.

"I will, bye!" I yelled and put an end to the conversation and returned the phone to its place, my eyes trained on the door. "Who is that?"