Soulmates (2)

A/N: Just fluff and nothing else eep I had to get this out of my mind so I ended up continuing it this week but next week will be back to plot ;v; SOWIE. I had to take my mind off the stress in my life by pouring out fluff. 

Enjoy.

______________________

"I'm surprised. You enjoy this?"

Vanilla watched his companion land two punches in the ice on the far right of the frozen lake, close to the edge of a pine forest covered in snow. He noted the presence of a fishing rod leaning against a nearby tree and inferred the identity of its owner.

"Passes the time," Leroy shrugged as he rose, taking the rod from Vanilla with an oddly devious smile before turning back to the lake and casting a line. "What do you do?"

"Well... vampires prefer spending time indoors, where the environment is much less volatile. Though, granted, we do not experience temperatures in the way werewolves and humans do—we're just cold, most of the time, which doesn't have much of an effect on our level of comfort—it simply boils down to a matter of preference. My apologies, I digress. We have classes most of the time. The curriculum emphasizes the importance of specialized research in respective fields of knowledge."

He observed his companion taking a seat by the edge of a lake on a flat rock and stood by awkwardly, hands behind his back and staring at the red little floating device that bobbed up and down.

"I asked about you," said Leroy, nodding at the space beside him which Vanilla could safely interpret as his cue to join him. "What you do in your free time."

"O-oh," was all the bespectacled vampire managed, adjusting his glasses and wrapping his coat a little tighter around himself. "Me? Well um. I read. And I have a little lab where I collect botanic samples and spend time researching about their properties and respective habitats. That aside, I'm rather boring, to say the least. According to what I've heard."

His companion snorted, glancing sideways with yet another disarming smile on his lips. "People say all kinds of shit when they're jealous. You're smarter than them. They don't like that."

It was strange speaking to a werewolf and hearing his thoughts on a matter he'd never bothered bringing up in the company of his own kind.

"I'm sure they have their reasons. Though I myself admit to being rather plain and uninteresting. Some vampires enjoy frolicking with human beings, turning up at high schools as transfer students o-or spending the night at what they call hotels and such, returning with stories and gossip that they'd then share with others over a glass of red."

This description had quite frankly matched Leroy's perception of vampires in general. Crazed romantics with an optional interest in the blood of human beings and their necks; going around attaining their desires through means of seduction and anything underhanded.

At present however, taking in his companion all wrapped up and bundled to the very top of his head and the occasional sneeze despite his claim about vampires being immune to the cold—this all felt very much harmless and cute, even.

"Werewolves have this weird obsession about finding a mate too. About hierarchy and fated pairs."

"Is that so?" The vampire blinked, gazing into the distance. "In truth, I too, had that opinion of your kind a-and I mean, you're an Alpha yourself, and perfectly strong with undeniably superior physical capabilities and yet here you are... fishing," he laughed quietly and it sounded to Leroy like clinking of icicles; chiming in the breeze. "Oh I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. Just, enjoying a pastime as quaint and slow as fishing speaks volumes about your personality."