Chapter 42

Leanne's POV

This is not how I imagined spending Valentine's Day at all. I envisioned cookie dough, featuring my favorite blanket, favorite sappy movie and favorite two friends that I've had this unofficial tradition with for about five years.

That plan went down the toilet when both of them magically got dates for this year's Valentine's, which resulted in me sitting at a frat party that's too loud, drinking vodka juice that has too much vodka, and being around people I've never seen in my life but somehow I know they'd piss me off if they started talking to me.

I have no one but myself to blame, though. Somehow I thought I'd be less of a loser if I spent the night with other people that didn't get dates and ended up here, but every single one of the people on this property has so far been seen making out with someone. And then there's me. Sitting in the corner of a sofa. Been third-wheeling for a little bit over an hour.

"Hey." Oh yeah, I forgot — being hit on by fraternity boys who act like dogs when they're drunk. Only dogs have a better understanding of the word 'no'.

"Hi," I force a smile to the one that's just sat down next to me. Shaggy brown hair, green eyes and freckles- I think I know him?

"You're the girl in my General Psychology class, aren't you?" Oh, yeah, that's where I know him from. "You always wear glasses and your hair up."

Well, this guy actually seems decent enough. "Yeah, that's me."

"Leanne," He pronounces my name so slowly, as if barely remembering it, and smiles when I nod- he's probably the most decent guy I'll end up talking to tonight. "I gotta tell you, you look a lot more attractive without the glasses. They make your face look... dunno, a lot older. I could mistake you for one of these guys' mom."

And down go my expectations. "Yeah, well, you look a lot more attractive when I'm not wearing my glasses too. Excuse me."

I manage to unstick my ass from the couch, stumbling a little as I've been sitting in the same spot for an hour, and start randomly going through the house in hopes of seeing someone I know. The only person I actually know around here.

"Ow! Fuck, can you watch i- oh, hey Seth!" But of course I end up being stepped on by his best friend. "Have you seen Niall? Is he even here?"

The freakishly tall guy looks down at me with a frown- he probably can't even recognize me due to our height difference. "Um, Niall? Yeah, he's in his room. Not sure if he'll be coming down at all."

I nod at the information, and try making my way to the staircase, before hearing Seth's voice again, "You should go up and keep him company, he needs it. And I've become boring, so..."

I can't help but sense sadness in his voice when he says that last part, but the way he shrugs his shoulders and lifts his arms to continue his goofy dancing assures me he's not actually sad about being boring to his best friend. Although Niall seems to be the only person that doesn't think Seth is a complete weirdo. I'd probably never even think of introducing myself to him if Niall hadn't done that for me.

Finally finding my way up the stairs and past the sweaty bodies of what feels like a million people, I walk into the room I'm sure is Niall's, the alcohol in my system causing me to do it without knocking or thinking about what I'm doing first. I actually don't know what I'm doing here, the room is dark and I know he never sleeps at this time, so Seth was wrong. He might just be at his apartment, or with his-

"Please get out." I jump in my spot right at the door, startled to hear his voice. I swear the bed looked completely flat when I first walked in. "This room is taken. Check the next one. And for God's sake, turn the fucking light off!"