18.

Anaya.

Alex was hosting some kind of important dinner tonight. Some wolves from another pack were visiting and Alex really wanted to impress them.

The maids had been working non-stop all day on cleaning, cooking, and generally trying to make sure they didn't get their heads cut off by their Alpha for the slightest mistake.

Alex had been on edge for a while now and I had had no idea why before, but I was now certain it had something to do with these people coming. This dinner was a huge deal to him.

I wouldn't be attending. He hadn't invited me but even if he had, I still wouldn't go. Going would mean technically announcing to another pack that I was his mate and it was one thing to pretend for his pack but risking it spreading to other packs, was something else.

Alex didn't invite me because he was ashamed of me. It wasn't something he made obvious but I knew from the little things he did. Walking slightly ahead of me the few times we left the house, never touching me or even coming close to me unless he absolutely had to.

I didn't blame him really. I actually understood. He was far nicer to me than somebody else in his position would be. Far nicer than most of his pack members had been.

A few days ago, Zara had called me into her office and looking really uncomfortable, told me that a lot of the parents were uncomfortable with leaving their children alone in a class with me. She said they were afraid of the 'influence' I would have over children at such an 'impressionable' age.

She said that the parents, afraid of offending their Alpha and asking to have me removed, had instead threatened to take their children out of school. The solution was that Zara had to take over the class while I just assisted and didn't have 'too much' contact with the kids.

As a matter of fact, the only people who'd been even slightly nice to me in this pack were Zara, and Jared. But Jared was terrified to even speak to me these days.

I was really lonely.

Something I had realised when I realised I found that I was actually considering talking to Selene.

Selene was a bitch but I was starting to consider that she might not want to be in this situation anymore than Alex and I did. Alex was stubborn enough to say no to his parents but what if she wasn't enough to refuse her parents?

"What are you doing? Why aren't you getting ready?" I heard Alex say from behind me.

I was on my way back to my room after getting a packet of Oreos to snack on.

"Getting ready for what?" I put another chocolate biscuit in my mouth.

"What do you mean for what? For the dinner! They're going to be here in an hour!" He was frantic, trying his best not to yell at me.

"What are you talking about? You didn't tell me I was supposed to attend!" A few crumbs flew out of my mouth and I chewed faster so I could finally swallow.

"I didn't think I had to tell you. Anaya, please I need you there. This is really important."

"But-" But I had plans!!! I wanted to yell. But then he would ask what the plans were and I would be forced to tell him that I planned to sit on the balcony in my pyjamas, eat oreos and continue reading my book. Lycan history was a lot more interesting than I had expected it to be.

But I would sound pathetic and boring.

"Fine," I said.

His face relaxed and he smiled, pulling me into a hug, "Thank you."

I froze a bit. Froze like I always did when Alex showed emotions that proved him to be even slightly human.

"Okay, I'll go and get ready," I muttered without meeting his eyes when he released me.

I finished the Oreos before then brushing my teeth to get all the black gunk off.

I was a bit nervous. I didn't want to do anything to embarrass Alex but then I feared it was inevitable. I was a Rogue who'd been raised in the woods.

I was like the slightly more educated, girlier, version of Mowgli. And we'd both been raised by wolves. Funny huh?

I decided on a navy blue dress that seemed appropriate enough and zipped it up halfway, deciding to ask one of the maids to help me get it up all the way.

I still had the earrings I'd been wearing when I got here but my neck would have to remain bare.

Then I pulled my hair into a ponytail and pulled on a pair of flats. I was looking in the mirror when Alex walked into the room.

The door was behind me so I watched him through the mirror. He stopped short when he saw me, looking at me from head to toe.

Then he started taking slow steps toward me, maintaining eye contact with me through the mirror, his eyes darkening with every step. He looked eatable. I'd never seen Alex dressed up. All I could say was that he should do it more often.

Stopping when he got to me and still not breaking eye contact, he slowly pulled my zip up.

Then out of his suit jacket, he extracts a small box. He opens it and
places it on the dresser in front of me and I gasp. It the most beautiful necklace I've ever seen. And dangling off it, is a blue gem.

Alex pulls the necklace out of the box and it glitters in the light. "I'm glad you chose to wear blue," he whispers as he clasps it around my neck.

He's standing really close behind me. So close that I can feel his body heat. I wonder briefly why he's so hot when we were in an air conditioned room. But I can't follow the train of thought as he steps closer and I can feel his actual body on mine.

He lowers his head and I gasp as I feel his lips on my mark sending tingles down my spine.

"Alex..." I want to tell him to stop. But I also want to tell him never to.

He pulls the band holding my hair up, sending my hair tumbling down my back and steps back, "The guests are here."

His voice is deep and his eyes are almost completely black and I know he's just as affected as me.

I take his arm and we head downstairs, getting to the foyer just as a maid is opening the door. An older man and woman step into the house and Alex immediately bares his neck. I follow suit.

They must be really important if even Alex, an Alpha, is showing respect to them. They look familiar and I wonder how in the world I could possible know them.

When I straighten, I find the couple staring at me with their eyes wide.

"Dahlia?"

.

.

. .
Now just what is going on? Hit the vote button guys!