Chapter 26 - Everybody Loves Cute Plushies

Femi

The look on Ashton's face was till stuck on my mind. When he told me why he bullied me, he had a sorrowful expression. His eyes were dark, like they were filled with regret.

And his words.

"I was jealous."

Jealous? Of who? Me?

I wanted to ask but at the same time I didn't. Like I had learned enough, I was content with what I knew. Sometimes things were simpler than what they seemed. 

My cool pillow cooled my burning body. I pressed into it and let myself wander into sleep. 

.

.

The sound of a distant knock made my eyes flutter open. Someone was knocking downstairs. And my body rose from the bed, still slow from my cold. 

My sleep had fixed me up a bit though, I wasn't as exhausted from before. 

I went down the stairs as cool air passed my body and got to the door. I opened it and was met with glimmering light brown eyes looking at me. Darianna stood at the other side with a smile and a bag in one hand. 

"What're you doing here?" I managed to say, my voice raspy and slow. She cocked a smile and raised a brow.

"Girl have you forgotten what day it is?"

I stared at her in silence and she laughed.

"It's your birthday girl. That cold really took a lot out of you huh?" She laughed and I sighed. Of course it was my birthday. I'd completely forgotten and to my defense when you have parents who're to busy to bring it up, your birthday turns into just another day. 

I stepped back so she could get in and she leaned in. "I got you a pretty good present."

Mako stood at the back and waved at me. I'd barely even noticed him from how dim the light was outside. But my eyes shot to who stood next to him. Ashton.

I felt how my heartbeat quickened at the sight. 

Did I always feel this way when I looked at him?

I averted my gaze and turned around. "You guys can get in, I'm gonna go change."

I went up the stairs and changed out of my trashy pajamas that I'd somehow managed to get on yesterday even through my cold. And put on a simple shirt and sweatpants. 

I went downstairs and saw how they had decorated the place in such a short amount of time. The dining room table had several different foods, mainly take outs, all over it and a large strawberry cake in the middle. Strawberry had always been my favorite fruit. Darianna must've picked it. 

I smiled and sat down on the couch, next to Mako. 

"So what're we gonna do?" I looked at Darianna, "I don't want too loud music playing, I'm still kinda sick." 

She rolled her eyes and turned on the tv. "Yeah, yeah. No need to tell me. You're the birthday girl for today."

I chuckled and nudged Mako on the shoulder. He looked at me with a raised brow and I smirked. "So you were able to get Darianna's attention huh?" 

His cheeks turned a soft pink and he smiled. "Don't know how I even managed to do it. That girl sure is something else." He sighed out as he looked at her with dreamy eyes. I giggled and was gonna say more when Ashton sat down next to me with a present in hand. 

I looked at the blue wrapped present with a dumbfounded expression and spoke. "Is this for me?"

"Who else would it be for?"

"Still got attitude. Even during my birthday." I grumbled and his eyes sharpened.

"Got a problem?"

"Nope," I said as I played with my fingers and then gave him a smirk. "Somehow grew to like this side of you."

His lips parted and then he looked away and put the present on my thighs. "Can I open it?"

"Do whatever you want."

I inspected the present and how neatly it had been wrapped, with such care and precision. 

The present was a plushie, about medium sized, of a light blue hamster. My heart melted at the sight. It was the cutest thing I had ever seen and I was fighting off the urge to give it a tight huge right there. 

"Thank you." I breathed out with teary eyes. 

He stayed silent.

But from the corner of his lips I could see a smile.