2. The Second Beginning

As the night grew deeper, the weather changed dramatically. A storm was coming in from the northern horizon. Slowly thunderclouds covered the night sky. The violent winds from earlier had now grown in intensity, sweeping through the mountains, obscuring the landscape. As if the night vibrated in anticipation.

And yet, in that infernal weather, two figures walked along a narrow path. Dressed only in bellowing pieces of saffron cloth, the thin shawls over their shoulders were all that kept the elements from ravaging their bodies. But the harsh climate didn't seem to bother them.

"We wait here, for now," said the man in front, stopping abruptly.

"Are we close, Subhankor?" asked his companion.
"Yes. He's inside a cave, there," Shubhankor said, pointing toward the great black silhouette of a mountain that stood in front of them.

Looking around, the two finally sat on a large rock facing the mountain and waited. It hadn't been too long when Shubhankor, even with his eyes closed, felt his companion fidgeting impatiently.

"But why are you waiting?" his companion asked finally.

"Because Korno is still with him. But he will be leaving soon," Subhankar replied, without opening his eyes.

"And you would let him?" He could feel his companion stare at him, in the darkness, with wide incredulous eyes.

"I am here at the invitation of my former master, Gargi. When the right moment approaches, he will send for me."

Gargi was about to protest but something startled her and she gave out an involuntary gasp, "Shubhankor! I am sure I saw a light of passage."

Slightly surprised, Subhankar turned to follow Gargi's line of vision, but saw nothing.

"You know Master is old school, Gargi. He will not cross over without having a witness," Shubhankor said. He stood up with a jolt. Frowning, he muttered under his breath, "Unless he has changed his mind and made Korno his witness..."

"The light was blue, not white, Shubhankor. Over the ages, I have been witness to quite a few such ascension to know what I am saying. This was not an ascension but a passage," Gargi said reassuringly.

"If it is not master, then it must be...Korno!"

Shubhankor went very still. Then abruptly, he spoke up again, "Master is calling me. You stay here Gargi. This is only between the two of us."

******

Alone once more, Yagyavalkya went back to his silent contemplation. He realised, after the longest time, he knew, with near absolute certainty, what was going to happen in the next few moments to come. It felt strange, yet comforting. It was comforting to be presented with some sort of an order, in the chaos that he was leaving behind.

Then the old man heard footsteps approaching. The one he was waiting for had finally arrived. It was almost time.

"May I come in, Master?"

A voice from the night beyond echoed within the cave.

"Come in, Shubhankor," Yagyavalkya replied in his feeble voice.

The man who walked in, wrapped in a saffron cloth looked almost identical to the one who had left moments ago. The only discernible difference was that Shubhankor was slightly taller and his hair was greyer than his brother's. Walking over and touching the feet of the old man, Shubhankor sat almost in the exact same spot that his brother had vacated.

The old man looked at him through the dying lights of the fire between them. Subhankar's hazel eyes were fixed on Yagyavalkya as they sat there in heavy silence.