THIRTEEN

Eira feared the dark.

         Well, more like she feared what creeped inside of it: shadows. For everyone else, a shadow was just that, the obstruction of light. For her, shadows came to life.

             Shadows contained the spirits of the dead. They were black floating figures with no face. And they all had to go through her.

              It was why she startled as she drove the car. A black floating figure appeared in the passenger seat. She could feel her heart skyrocket in her chest.

               The shadow reached out towards her. The murky black fog of its arm grew until it formed a hand. It placed its hand on her wrist by the steering wheel which had a long sleeve t-shirt on. But she had learned that no clothing stopped them from grabbing her.

               Its vice-like grip was too tight (like always) and she winced as she was flooded with the pain of the ghost beside her. It wasn't just the pain she felt about dying but also the pain a person had caused others in their life.

             This one caused a lot.

             She got flashes of six girls, helpless, just as she was right now. Flashes of six murdered girls. She felt their agony and their sorrow; she even felt his sick twisted glee.

               Eira screamed as all the emotions became too much and she ran off the road. The last thing she remembered was her car ramming into a tree.

              _____

Eira opened her eyes but she didn't want to. Everything was numb and aching but one thing was still very, very clear: pain. Not the kind one could heal from but the kind that someone couldn't.

She shook her head back and forth on the pillow beneath her as she realized she was alive. She was in a hospital and she was alive. Again.

Eira started to cry as tears fell down her cheeks, "No, no."

Over the summer, it hadn't been the first time that she died. She had learned a lot away from Beacon Hills but the biggest trait she learned about herself was that she was impervious to death.

She couldn't die and she had started to wish that she could.

She used to think living forever would be a dream. But not anymore. Not with the spirits (her shadows) that only reminded her of how much evil there was, how much sorrow, how much anger. And all of it felt like it was living and breathing with her.

After the spirits touched her, they passed on, but some, well, they were determined to stay. She could feel them around her with all of their feelings of torment that suffocated her. Waiting. Waiting for what, she didn't know.

But she knew they were there. Invisible but they could still scare her with the weight of their emotions wrapped around her like a cocoon.

             She didn't want these emotions that weren't hers. That made her sad for the world she lived in and how much monstrosity there was. She didn't want to live in a world like that. In a world where sick glee became her own. Where she became the monster that the shadows turned her into.

              It was why she cried.

             _____

             Eira walked around her hospital room, grabbing her things out of a plastic bag. She sniffled a bit when Melissa McCall came in.