just us three

She knows it comes as a surprise to people at the party, her being here. She knows it from the hesitant smiles, the nods and the whispering amongst each other, and she knows it because a few people have already mentioned how her presence has come as a surprise to them because you know... he's here. Truth be told, she wasn't sure if she would be here until the last minute, which is why she's wearing an odd combination of a dress and a pair of cowboy boots which she would never do in any circumstance. Her hair is a bit messy, forehead oily, and makeup is a bit rushed, but she looks decent enough to be here, she thinks.

She came, because she knew people weren't expecting to see her. They would expect to see anyone, especially the man himself, Harry Styles here, but not her. Because she was the 'mum', the woman, the underdog– always the victim, always sad and wailing after a divorce.

Was she sad? Probably. Was she ready to party? Positive.

She came, because she wanted to prove herself, and everyone wrong. Even now, talking to a producer from Calabasas, she feels somehow out of place, a bit awkward, but at least she can crack jokes and nod along to the man's conversation.

Then, she sees him.

He comes out of the little kitchen area at the back, dressed in a brown, striped suit, hair perfectly styled– and it makes her heart ache. However, she can't look longer because someone walks up to him, and hugs him as she watches his arms wrap around their body one last time before she turns to the man in front of her.

Glenne comes to the rescue.

"Can I steal you for a bit?" She asks, smiling at the man before she walks them towards where the drinks are. She squeezes her waist. "Irv wants to say hi."

Y/N smiles. "Why didn't he come up to me?"

"Your ego is astounding. Come on, get another drink– you've been drinking that since you came in, it must taste like pee."

She makes her put the glass down on one of the vacant tables, and they each grab a fresh one before walking up to Irving Azoff, who is now standing in one corner with Jeff and Lilly, Harry's personal assistant.

It's awkward with her– it is, because she's practically like family now, and when Y/N divorced from Harry, it also felt like divorcing from Lilly as well with her handling most of the paperwork and all.

Lilly turns to her, and smiles. "Y/N," she says, voice low despite the music. "Hi."

"Hi, Lilly. Jeff, Irv..."

Irving smiles, and places his hands on her shoulders. "Hi, darling," he squeezes. "So good to see you here. Show him what he's missing–"

Jeff clears his throat. "–Dad."

"It's good to see you as well, Irv."

Irving smiles, and brings her into a hug. They talk about work– her work, Irving talks about a new, nightmare artist and when she feels his presence behind her, it's almost as though the time stops.

It does, because she doesn't see or hear anyone else apart from him– him behind her, his cologne– the same one she loved, bitter and strong, but still lovely. She turns her face a little, then turns back to the group, and Harry takes another step forward so that he stands next to Lilly. Placing his arms around her. He looks at everyone but her.

"Are you high?" Jeff calls from his left, and the group–except her–laugh, Glenne flicking him in the chest.

Harry steals a glance at her, and she looks down immediately, at her shoes, feeling her cheeks get hot at the realisation that she's just got caught staring at him.