Chapter Seven

The week passed in a blur, but it had been long enough for Wren to forget about me. Even though I wanted to, I didn't reach out, and neither did he. Campbell's Home was back in business. After a week of preparations, we opened our doors again, and the public greeted us in droves.

I hadn't sat down since the moment we opened this morning. And now, heading into lunch, the restaurant was packed. Nadia charmed the line outside with her readings, and the rest of us busted our tails to keep up with the crowd.

They were here because of me—well, because of Wren. He may have forgotten his little impromptu confession, but the town hadn't. And after a few social media posts blew up about our food, Campbell's Home was the place to be.

"You got the next two?" Shae juggled an army of plates in their hands, eyeing the two open tables near the door.

I hopped off the fryer and scurried back to the front. With a pen and pad in hand, I watched the restaurant's attention bend at the will of our new customers. Wren entered, trailing behind Da-Bin and Valentina. Zacari chatted the trio up as he offered them a booth. Consciously wiping the sweat from my forehead, my body went rigid when he found me. A smile burrowed into his lips and he offered me a small nod.

"Oh, ain't that your boyfriend, Songbird?" Shae cackled, garnering the attention of the customers nearby.

I shoved them in the arm as embarrassment captured me still. "Stop."

Wren didn't take his eyes off of me. As if under a spell, I felt trapped under his gaze. Floating above the ground, grace knew no limits as I took airy steps to their table.

To my surprise, it was Valentina who spoke first. "You guys been busy. That's good."

"Thanks." Wringing the notepad in my sweaty palms, I could feel his stare. I tried my best to ignore. "How long did you wait?"

Da-Bin nodded his head towards Wren, finally giving me a reason to look. "Not long with him," he answered.

Electricity rippled through my bloodstream when our eyes met again. How could I feel more now than I ever did before? He seemed to notice, leaning in. Even his body heat delighted me, but I pulled my gaze away and addressed them properly, "What can I get you?"

"That's it?" He bid for my attention. "I haven't seen you in a week and you don't even say hi?"

A meek breath funneled through my lips. "Hi."

"Hi, Songbird," he practically whispered, basking in my sudden nerves.

"Oh my God," Valentina croaked. "Do this later. I'm hungry."

After their orders were confirmed, I found myself back in the kitchen where Shae was all smiles.

Filling three glasses with orange juice, I swatted them away. "Shut up."

I was back in server mode. There was still a table I hadn't greeted. Thankfully, they were still looking over the menu, but I needed to work faster. I managed to place their drinks down, only to feel Wren's warm, callous fingers wrapped around my hand. "Wait."

Shae served a group of girls and they let out a collection of gasps. Shae peeled their attention away to look back as Wren whispered in my ear. "I brought something for you."

Twirling a small purple flower between his two fingers, he placed it behind my ear. "Since you're not a fan of bouquets."

The group squealed, and Shae rubbernecked their commotion. A light gargle sound came from my right when Valentina pretended to gag.

"He practiced that line on the way here." Da-Bin offered a round of applause.

"And it was even worse in action," Valentina droned.