Part 3 - Amity

Once again, Amity finds her hand in Luz's being led to somewhere else she does not yet know. She isn't sure what else Luz will be able to show her that will shock her. After rollerskating and trying human icecream for the first time, she isn't sure she'll be able to handle another spectacle of the human realm. Amity notices a large smile on Luz's face though as she leads Amity, a clear difference from only minutes earlier when those girls were teasing her at the icecream parlor. So Amity lets herself be led.

Luz turns a corner, navigating away from the plaza and toward a busy intersection.

"Batata, is this the right way?" Amity asks. "I thought we were just staying in the plaza."

"The last place I have to show you is across the street," Luz answers.

"But won't your mom worry if we're not at the same place she dropped us off?"

"Nope! I told her ahead of time where to pick us up," Luz says, shooting Amity a wink. "Come on, Amity. Where's your sense of adventure?"

"I think I've had one too many adventures lately," Amity admits.

"Thankfully, this one won't be quite as dangerous," Luz promises.

Amity tries to hide her anxiety as she crosses the street with Luz, but her grip on Luz's hand tightens as they step out into the crosswalk.

"What's the matter, hermosa?" Luz asks.

"How do all the cars know how to stop?" Amity asks worriedly. "Can't they just move at any point? And more importantly, why do they all have go stare at us as we cross?" she adds, seeing a few drivers' gaze locked on them.

Luz giggles and points ahead to a signal display of a person walking.

"That's how we know when to go. The traffic signal turns red so they stop," Luz explains.

Once they step back onto the sidewalk, Amity lets herself breathe again. The intersection grows loud with the movement of cars, but they don't linger long. As Luz continues to lead Amity down the sidewalk, the terrain shifts from concrete and buildings to rolling green grass and picnic benches. In the distance, Amity sees children climbing up and down some sort of play structure. Their giggles of joy travel all the way to where Luz and Amity are walking on the sidewalk.

Amity reads a sign ahead.

"Crossroad Park?" she asks.

"Well, that's technically what it's called," Luz says, "but we're actually here to see something different. See that building up ahead?"

Amity squints, then her eyes lock on it. Tucked away behind the play structure is a large brick building with a metal statues at the front entrance and tall banners advertising something that Amity can't quite make out.

"What is that place?" Amity asks.

"You haven't figured out?" Luz responds.

Amity shakes her head. "I have to be honest, Luz, every human building looks the same to me. I could honestly believe it's another rollerskating rink."

Luz laughs beside her. "It's the local library, silly!"

Amity's eyes widen. "They have libraries in the human realm?!"

"What? Of course! How else do you think I discovered the Good Witch Azura books?" Luz asks.

When they come to the library's entrance, Amity slowly lets go of Luz's hand and stops to stare up at the building. She doesn't know why, but she feels strangely emotional. For the past week, in the midst of her grief of losing her family and her home, everything has felt foreign and frightening. However, standing in front of a library, one of the few places she ever felt safe in the Boiling Isles before she met Luz, she feels an overwhelming amount of comfort.