[15-3] Noble Illusions - Part Three

It had been years since Jade had run like this. Her legs soared as she leapt through the wilderness that expanded around her, though the urban wilds had dwindling appeal compared to the sprawling forests and riverbanks of her childhood. Every direction she turned, the wind followed her will and spurred her on, its gentle breaths accumulating to carry her forward faster than she could ever remember moving. Her mind worked quicker too, and as soon as an obstacle appeared in her path she raised a ramp from the stone her feet hammered against and climbed right over it. This run was effortless, limitless, aimless.

    Aimless save for the deliberate and mobile movements of the auburn-haired girl ahead of her, that was. Jade had been so relieved at leaving the suffocating depths of the facility behind that she had yet to process that Skye Farron, the same girl who had twice attempted to kidnap her, now acted as her rescuer. The girl led Jade on a crow's flight beyond the sight of the main streets to some fixed point in the distance, though their exact destination remained secluded in Skye's head.

    With every step, the situation looked less like a rescue and more like another kidnapping.

    As a cut-through back to the main streets approached on their right-hand side, Jade made sure Skye faced forward before launching herself towards the passageway. She swerved and planted her feet into the ground to stop herself as a curtain of fire swept shut in front of her. "Don't think I'm not watching you, Gemini," Skye said, her arms raised and ready for another swing. "I didn't break you out just to let you slip away."

    Jade waved away what remained of the fire. "Then why did you break me out? You guys had me already." Though her exit was clear, her curiosity refused to let her seize the opportunity.

    "I told you, I'm nothing like that Nomad filth." Looking away in disgust, Skye blew the stray locks of blonde hair that tumbled over her face. Despite the harshness of her language, it was sadness that underpinned the too-long moment of silence that followed. Skye's eyes narrowed as if searching for something or someone and, when she drifted back to attention, she met Jade's gaze with a sigh that failed to relieve any tension from her shoulders. "I knew we should never have trusted those thugs with something as important as the city's safety. My father shall see to it that you get the help you need."

    "The help I need, or the help you want me to have? Because I don't remember asking for anything from you!"

    "This isn't about you!" Skye threw her arms down with a groan. "This is about our duty! Whether you want to admit it or not, people waking up with powers they don't understand is a threat. My father has to act before it's too late!"

    "Too late for what?" Jade frowned. As Skye blinked in confusion, Jade shook her head and fiddled with her necklace. "What's your dad going to do to save us all? What does his big picture look like?"

    Skye tried to speak, but gave up and released a single sigh. Her eyes glazed over.

    With one step forward, Jade closed the gap between them to less than an arm's length. "Do you know anything about what he's doing, Skye?"

    "Stop!" Skye shoved Jade away, her arm reeling back to let her hands hide her face. Choked sobs poured out from behind her palms. In the slivers of sunlight that crested the stone walls around them, Jade snatched a fleeting glimpse of glimmering tears rounding the girl's cheeks. "Don't question him! This is his duty! He knows what's best. For you, for the city, for the nation..."

    "For you?" Jade wanted to lay a hand on Skye's arm, to dampen the force of the push that still burned on her shoulder, yet her slightest attempt to creep closer drew bright sparks from the girl's body. "Is any of this what you want?"