10 - A Meeting With a Malfoy

Ginny planted her feet on the wooden cobblestones of the entryway to Rosedragon Cafe, landing from having apparated with as much grace as she had on a broom. She looked around warily, although she wasn't sure if there was even anything suspicious she ought to be keeping an eye out for. Rosedragon Cafe was one of the most conspicuous places to meet in Diagon Alley. Although it was located on the outskirts of the area, it was still a primary location for old friends and families with children alike to stop and meet for a bite to eat. Today was not an exception, with the place bustling with customers coming in and out. Rosedragon was known particularly well for their frozen butterbeer slushies along with their Every-Scent Malteser sundaes.

Before entering the shop, Ginny used a gentle color charm to lighten her vibrant red hair to a sandy blonde. She also cast a quick Notice-Me-Not charm on herself, just strong enough to misdirect the attention of anyone who wasn't supposed to be looking for her. This would assure that any wandering eyes or ears would not find themselves listening to her and Malfoy's conversation - once she found Malfoy, that is. She was not quite as popular as their friendly neighborhood Golden Trio, but she would also rather avoid anyone who might recognize her as a Weasley sister or as the past girlfriend of Harry Potter.

Ginny sat herself down in a booth, her thoughts racing over what in Merlin's muddy swamp Malfoy could possibly need to tell her. Why exactly was he being so cryptic? She understood that owls could be intercepted, but why couldn't he have told her at the game after applying a quick Muffliato?

And even more so, why hadn't he met with Harry or Hermione instead? If it was a Death Eater related issue, it was more probable for him to have gone to one of them first, especially considering that Harry and Hermione both worked in the DMLE, not to mention that Malfoy had already helped them track down a few runaway Death Eaters in the first few months after the war.

If it wasn't a Death Eater related issue, well, then Ginny wasn't sure what he might have wanted to meet with her for. Maybe he was being tracked, and meeting with Ginny would be more inconspicuous than meeting with an Auror, or the Vice Head of Magical Law Enforcement? Ginny had no clue, and her thoughts continued to race until a waiter arrived at the table where she was sat.

"Good evening, madam, may I take your order?" spoke an articulate and silvery voice.

Ginny looked up. How peculiar, she thought to herself. Her waiter was none other than the very person she was supposed to be meeting with.

Draco Malfoy stood, tall and alluring, having changed from his blue and gold Quidditch robes to a similarly-colored ashwinder blue sweater, with the collar of a sharp white Oxford shirt neatly peeking out from the neckband. He seemed to have had a similar idea about not wanting to be recognized, with his hair having been colored to a warm shade of brown which matched his trousers. With an apron over his clothes, a notepad and rose-colored quill in his hand, and a cap printed with animated dragons and flickering stars over his head, he was not out of place as one of the busy cafe's many servers.

"Excuse me, ma'am, may I take your order?" Malfoy asked once again, shooting a glance at the door, his eyes indicating that Ginny ought to just follow along.

"Of course, pardon me," Ginny responded. "I'll take the rose-dragon tea with saffron flakes and essence of Ashwagandha please."

"I do apologize, but I'm afraid we are out of Ashwagandha at the moment. Would you care to take a look at our other specialty essences offered in the back?"

Malfoy hinted with a slight nod, encouraging Ginny to declare, "Why... yes, I would."

"Very well, please follow me," Malfoy related as he turned and walked toward the employee door, and through to the back room; however, he did not stop there, as he continued walking until he reached an office of sorts, which he immediately locked upon their entrance. He cast a Muffliato and finally released a deep breath before sitting down.