17. her keeper

Joes was a lot busier than I expected it to be. I was feeling worse now than I did on the way here too. Quinn drove in almost complete silence, if it wasn't for his frustrated sighs every once and a while. He definitely did not want me to be here. This was a horrible impulse decision. And i'd been making a lot of those recently.

"So, you really did let her come then Quinn," Ronan flashed a grin at us straight away, waving us over to their table in the corner.

I spotted a couple of girls that were in their year sitting beside him. At first this made me feel at ease, but after a brief second, I noticed their puzzled faces that could very well be perceived as annoyed. These girls would never be my friend if they thought I was with Quinn.

"I'm not her keeper Ronan, she can do what she wants."

"Well then, do you want a drink, Ivy?"

"No," Quinn glared at him at the same time I spoke, "yeah sure."

"Thought you weren't her keeper?"

"I'm not."

"I'd love a drink. Thanks Ronan."

"Ivy-"

"Why can't I have a drink?"

"If you want a drink i'll get you one for you."

"Why can't Ronan get me one?"

"For fuck sake-"

"Hi, I'm Rachel," one of the girls interrupted us, extending her hand to me.

"Ivy, I'm Quinn's neighbour."

"Ohhh the neighbour," one of the other girls said out loud to herself.

"Yeah, the neighbour?"

It had never occurred to me that these girls would know Quinn had a girl a couple years below that lived beside him. Sure, I was popular enough in school and my friends played for the team, but Quinn and his friends were two years older. We were never in sixth form at the same time.

"This is Anna and Cara," Rachel smiled, "don't mind them. They aren't used to other girls coming."

"Not to worry, I probably won't be coming again."

"Ivy, I said if you want a drink I'll get you one."

"Right then get me one," I rolled my eyes as he got up and made his way over to the bar. "What's his problem?"

"He's never had a problem before," Ronan shrugged.

Everyone went back to chatting amongst themselves while I took out my phone and text the group chat with all 6 of us in it, SOS is anyone coming to Joes? Praying my friends would come and rescue me. Quinn returned with two red diesels in hand, "you can stop complaining now."

"You started it."

"Sure, i'll leave you to it then. Girls," he stood up, "play nice," he nodded to Rachel, Anna and Zara before moving to one of the other tables of boys I didn't know too well.

Obviously, we all sat and stared at each other. There was nothing for us to talk about. Even Ronan had turned to speak to the other boys. Who would have thought hanging out with Quinn and his friends would be so great. I didn't even have to speak.

"So, what year are you in Ivy?" Rachel spoke first.

"I'm in upper sixth, not long left to go. Are you in uni?"

"Yeah, I'm doing nursing."

"Oh, cool."

"Are you seeing Quinn then?" Zara decided to join the conversation as Anna nudged her, "Of course, they aren't seeing each other, he doesn't even want to sit with her."