Inner Slytherin 7

Harry told Severus about the visit to the solicitor.

"I'm glad in a way," said Severus. "If I registered myself as your guardian, Dumbledore would bring up about me being a death eater. It will not be easy for you."

"Yes, and that's why I want to hire you as my steward, and to invest in an apothecary business as a sleeping partner with you," said Harry. "And we're going to deal with that mark as soon as we have Pettigrew, and this afternoon looks as good a time as any to do so. If we miss tea, Dobby can bring us something in here."

"You want to give me everything I could reasonably long for on a plate in return for being your steward?" Severus stared.

"I hope you might enjoy being my steward too and having an enjoyable rivalry with Lucius Malfoy and his holdings," said Harry. "Oh, and with the Black family as well."

Severus laughed.

"I would enjoy it more if I knew about business matters."

"There will be books on the matter; as I will be studying to take my place in the Wizgamot.

"Then I accept," said Severus. Harry passed him the steward's ring, and again there was that light chime.

"You should be able to summon Dobby as well," said Harry, "which could save your life if anyone gets stroppy about you losing the mark. Shall we get Pettigrew next?"

"Very well," said Severus. "Here's the mark. You know Pettigrew. I have to say, if anyone can use Riddle's magic against him, I trust you to do it, Python. You are lucky."

Harry caught Hermione's eye.

"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck," they chanted. Severus rolled his eyes.

"Just get on with it Princess Luke and Prince Leia," he said.

Harry placed his wand to the dark mark, and concentrated. He started hissing.

"He has no idea how disconcerting that is," said Severus, waspishly.

"I think we'd better learn it," said Hermione.

"Undoubtedly. Now keep your wand ready, Miss Granger, since anything to do with the dark mark is inevitably painful, and I might miss Pettigrew if I am distracted."

Hermione gulped, and nodded. This time she would not fail to capture the little rat.

Harry's chanting speeded up and with a loud 'Crac!' and a scream of terror, Peter Pettigrew appeared on Severus' lap. Severus pushed him into a standing position as Hermione cast the binding spell.

"What happened? Why am I here?" squealed Pettigrew.

"Whilst I might feel some modicum of compassion for you, bullied as you were by the Marauders even whilst being one of them, I'm afraid the freedom of Sirius comes first for me," said Harry. Peter bared his teeth.

"I'll turn you in, too, Severus, if you permit this," he threatened.

"Miss Granger, pray watch him while we continue," said Severus. Hermione nodded, her eyes firmly on their prisoner. Harry continued chanting, and Severus screamed, and fell off the chair in the foetal position, clutching convulsively at his arm. And then he stopped twitching and lay still. Harry, who had finished, instantly knelt at his side.

"I'm sorry that it hurt so much, sir," he said.

Severus took his hand from his arm, and gazed at the unblemished pink skin.

"Sometimes, pain can be a clean, good pain," he said.

"Like pulling out a splinter," nodded Hermione.