Panghimagas

The night was still, there was barely a breeze. The humid air made their clothes stick to skin; it was easy to lose your temper on nights like these. Inday crouched lower to the ground. She could feel the earth's cold dirt on her elbows.

"Pasensya na," she whispered. Inday searched for Martinez's eyes in the dark, it wasn't difficult since the moon was out tonight. Martinez was to her right, also laying low. He wanted to respond, but she cut him off.

"Siguro hindi ko na dapat pina-abot sa ganun," Inday regretted.

It's true. She could have pulled the plug on that guy at any moment in the carinderia. She couldn't have asked him to leave respectfully, or anything like that - that probably wouldn't have gone in any good direction even if they tried.

Guys like those? Any amount of respect given to them, they're intent to abuse.

But still, Inday could have simply... finished the job. She could have hurt him then and there, ripped his heart out for a quick snack. But she didn't, and that was why they were on the cold, hard, ground at the moment.

Martinez tsk-ed from his spot. He hastily cupped Inday's face with one hand and frowned, "Alam mo, pumapanget ka pag nag-sosorry ka."

He held her gaze, frowning. And for once, since the moment they met, Inday made a readable expression for him.

She breathed out a laugh.

Martinez fought down something in his throat. He gave Inday's cheek one last squeeze before letting go, and finally focusing back on the mission at hand.

-

You see, after Martinez's rather cool (if he does say so himself), entrance at the carinderia, both he and Inday found themselves in the precarious situation of needing to keep up appearances for their audience: the people of the barrio.

When Martinez's initial anger subsided after seeing Inday be leered at by someone other than him, he noticed the role Inday was playing in the establishment.

He noticed the spot behind Inday's neck where her apron clung not too long ago. And he noticed the people who were ready to back Inday up from behind the counter.

Oh, we're playing nice here? it dawned on him.

So after his intimidating introduction to Don, Martinez turned on the charm. That was easy for someone like him, after all.

He looked around. The carinderia's servers held their breath. Some customers stopped eating to avoid clinking their utensils on their plates. They stared at Martinez in excitement, and... kilig. And immediately, Martinez found his role for the night.

Martinez relaxed, placed a hand on Don's shoulder, and squeezed. Hard.

"Sorry brad," Martinez sang. He met Don's fearful eyes, "Seloso kasi ako." he stated haughtily.

Martinez gave him a playful wink. The wink was more for the crowd than it was for Don, and it was effective. Oohs sprang from their audience, some people thumped on their tables for effect. Everyone liked a good love story.

Don didn't.

When Don finally picked up what was left of his dignity on the floor, he realized he wasn't being stalked by some monster from behind. No, it was just this mayabang outsider who didn't yet know his place. Don fumed.

He stood up from his chair (oh good, he did just imagine peeing himself), and he made sure to spout insults at the owner of the establishment, Je, on his way out.

Inday wasn't sure how to follow-up with this situation.

Do they just walk away from this? Should she say her goodbyes to her new co-workers? Does she still even have a job tomorrow, or did she cause too much trouble? It didn't matter though, because Martinez wasn't finished with their charade anyway.