Chapter 6

I decided to take the polite approach after I regained my composure, "How are you?"

"I'm good. And you?" He smiled a fake smile back at me knowing I was trying to keep the conversation light.

My smile grew as I answered him, "I'm great. What brings you back to the island?"

"Ok. I just thought it was time," he replied clearly confused about my answer to his question.

Trent pulling on my jacket sleeve brought my attention to him, "Mom, what are we doing tonight?"

"We're going to your grandma's art gala." I noticed a frown appeared on his face at the mention of his grandma, but once he realized he was coming he was excited.

"How come he gets to go to social events like that and we don't?" James asked his father.

Jake grimaced before answering, "Son, you weren't invited."

"How did he get an invite then?" James asked snobbily.

I took a step forward before speaking, "Maybe because he knows how to behave at social events and doesn't push a CEO of a mega-cooperation into a fountain," I was referring to his last stint at a party in Washington after that their parents were lucky to be on the guest list to any party. This resulted in James being silent. While his father looked rather smug at him being put in his place.

Liam looked at me while stifling his laughter at his nephew's sour look, before saying "You're going to the gala?"

"Yeah. You?" I replied, whilst straightening my jacket.

He once again looked surprised before he stuttered out, "Yes, I was just going to tag along with Jake and Anna."

"My mother-in-law would have a field day with that why don't you just come with Trent and I and we can catch up while we are there?" I laughed.

He looked baffled by my proposal, "So let me get this straight, you want to take a date who's not your husband to your in-laws party?"

"Yeah. Why not?" I wondered.

Liam looked at Jake in question while the kids had all ran off to the swings.

Jake answered his unspoken question that I hadn't picked up on, "They're marriage has been over for a while, man, it was all just an act."

"Are you serious? Ok I'm definitely coming tonight I want to hear about this mess you got yourself into." Liam aimed the last part at me.

I smiled pleased that I don't have to suffer alone now, "Great. So, the car will come get you at 7:30. Are you staying in the old apartment?"

"Yeah." Liam admitted.

I shouted to Trent telling him we were going now then turned back to the two men, "It was lovely seeing you again, Jake, send Anna my love. I'll see you later, Liam."

With that I turned around and headed off to the nearest ice cream parlour with Trent walking along beside me. I thought about the recent events two of my best friends are back in New York, Jake and Anna, I missed them like crazy while they were gone but we always knew what each other were up to through the news and magazines.

The biggest thing though was Liam. Liam is a year older than me, he was my best friend but more than that he was the love of my life. We were together for four years before he disappeared for a year, no one heard from him, I began to give up hope and started to date again that is how I met Charles. I was just beginning to get serious with Charles when Liam reappeared and wanted me back but it was too late he broke my heart and with the help of Charles it slowly started to get pieced back together. I chose a new relationship over an old. I still loved Liam, I probably always will, he was a big part of my life. On my wedding day Liam proclaimed his love to me and begged me not to marry Charles, I was happy with Charles so I chose to proceed with the wedding and the last I saw of Liam before today was him standing at the back of the church with tears streaming down his face and his eyes were that of a broken man. I had no idea how to act around him now. I have always wondered whether I made the right decision and as my husband grew more and more distant the more doubt at my choice filled my mind.

I don't know if Liam and I could ever give it another go, I guess I would just see how things go.

Trent's voice brought me out of my thoughts, "Mummy, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, sweetheart. I was just thinking." I answered smiling down at him.

He frowned before enquiring, "Who was that man that knew you and Uncle Jake?"

"That was Liam, an old friend," I told him.

As the ice cream parlour came into view Trent grabbed my hand and began pulling me towards it, "Hurry, mummy!"

Trent ordered a triple chocolate scoop while I ordered a double strawberry and vanilla we didn't talk as we dug into our ice creams.

The bell over the door dinged but I paid no mind to it until someone stood at the end of our table, I looked up to see my sister-in-law, Charlotte, she was the only nice one out the lot and Trent loved her.

"Hey, guys. Mind if I join you?" she chirped.

I smiled up at her as I said, "Not at all. What brings you all the way down here?"

Her permanent smile slipped at this so I knew it wasn't good so it probably involved her brother, "Liam's back and according to Charles you have already had a run in with him."

Great. Charles knew Liam was back. Charles and Liam had always hated each other, Charles because he knew Liam was my first love and he thought of him as competition, Liam because Charles was the one that stood in the way of us. Looks like it's all going to kick off tonight.

 .......................................................................................................

Vote.Comment.Follow

 liam>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>