Savage Daughter

Only 3 chapters in and I can't believe how many people have read and voted/commented on this story already! You all are totally amazing!

As a show of gratitude, here's a long one for you :P The longest one yet, in fact! Sorry for making you wait forever, but my mind has been a little distracted as of late. Most recently, I've been a bit preoccupied by the wildfire that is burning under 5km from my house, and which I get a great view of from work... It's been a stressful couple of weeks, to say the least.

I rewrote the end of this chapter so many times, just trying to get it to feel right. I wanted to add some good detail to the Hiccstrid dynamic, as well as throw in a decent helping of suspense and intrigue along the way. Not sure if I managed it... I suppose you lot can let me know once you've read it for yourself. Lol. You'll also see several hat-tips to my own witchy heritage throughout, and those just happen to be both self-serving, and kinda important. (Title for this chapter is, of course, from the song Savage Daughter. It has been sung by many, but I like Alexandra de Anda's version quite a lot. I just feel like I can relate to this song on a deeply spiritual level, ya know :P Anyone else get that vibe? lol)

______

How long Astrid stood there staring at the stranger on her doorstep, she couldn't say. All she knew was that her heart was beating wildly as her mind tried to come to terms with what her eyes were seeing. She almost wanted to take up the mallet again and run him straight off their property, but that would probably turn out to be a bad idea.

"What are you doing here," she found herself snapping. Her eyes flicking down to the mallet by her feet for a second as her voice trembled slightly, and she cursed herself for her showing of unease. The words themselves sounding crazy even to her own ears and she had to stop herself from grimacing. After all, there was no way this man would understand her odd reaction to his appearance. He was probably beginning to suspect that she might be mad.

If the man was bothered by her outburst though, he didn't really show it. He just arched a dark brow at her as he pointedly pulled his cloak a little tighter against the driving rain. "As I said, I got caught on the road in the storm," he repeated easily. "This was the first house I could find."

This didn't ring exactly true to Astrid and she narrowed her eyes at him as another crack of lightning lit the sky. No matter which direction he was travelling, he would have come across Mildew's shack or the Thorstons' tiny cottage first. Both of which were closer to the road, and would also be easier to spot in the dark as their windows did not have shutters to dampen the light from the hearth. It was more likely that the Hofferson home, with its sturdy walls and large stable, seemed the most appealing to a passing noble.

"I am sorry for startling you mi'lady, but it is rather unpleasant out here," he hedged again when it became clear that Astrid wasn't about to say anything else. His words making her feel unexpectedly guilty as she now took note of the rain pouring from the wide brim of his hat.

At that, Astrid gave herself a mental shake. Was she really going to leave a nobleman outside in the rain, just because he had eyes the same colour as some man she'd dreamed up? Loads of people in Berk had green eyes. Maybe not quite the same vivid green as this man's, but still. Merely having green eyes did not make him the dark prince of her imaginings, and it was foolish to believe so. One simply could not dream a man into existence.

Wordlessly she shifted to the side and opened the door a little wider. Her eyes humbly cast down to the floor now. Still, the man did not make a move to enter. He cleared his throat in such a way that had her looking up again. "Might I be permitted entry into your home," he asked again.

As she gazed into those eyes, Astrid felt her heart stutter almost painfully in her chest - even as her brows furrowed in confusion. Had she not made herself clear enough with the gesture? "Y-Yes. Of course," she stammered. "Come on in."