07: Absent Birthday Boy

Tony groaned as the final lap came and I crossed the finish line first. I cheered and Tony threw aside his controller.

"I let you win." Tony defended himself.

I scoffed, "Dude, you would've had a better chance if you picked Yoshi, like me."

"Shy guy is better than him." Tony argued. I rolled my eyes and reached for my water.

"Whatever."

I took a sip of my water and set it back down on the table in front of us. I glanced at Anthony as he got up. I tilted my head, confused at his action.

Was he going to sleep already?

"Where you going?" I asked. Tony looked back at me.

"My co-worker just asked me to cover her night shift." Tony sighed. I nodded and exited the game. I turned on the TV and put on a show I watched already, I left it play as background noise.

"Are you going to cover his shift?"

"Yeah. I have nothing to do and I'll be paid extra anyways." Tony shrugged and went upstairs to change into his uniform probably.

"I'm home." Dad yelled, coming in with a handful of groceries. I stood up and went over to help him. Soon after, Tony came skipping down the stairs in his uniform. He rushed over to the door and put on his shoes that were next it.

"Hey Percy, where are you going?" Dad asked putting some of the groceries away.

"Got asked to cover a night shift."

Dad nodded, "Be safe. Call me if anything happens."

Tony nodded, giving him a thumbs-up as he opened the door.

"Bye Arty!" Tony called out. I hate when they call me that.

"Bye Perseus!" I shouted back knowing he hated his full middle name, he always preferred being called Percy over Perseus. Although I think it's a badass name. I might have a slight bias towards Greek mythology. I can't help it if I grew up learning about it by my older brothers. In fact, we all have Greek based middle names. Apparently my parents had let our uncle, who adores mythology overall, decided on the wild names.

Things finally felt normal again. After meeting the guy mom is going to marry things still felt tense in the house, but after dad mentioned that we didn't have to accept him, things lighten up a bit. He was a strange guy— who am I kidding? The guy is toxic as hell. He's a two faced son of a bitch. He acted all friendly in front of mom and dad but was rotten towards us.

When our parents divorced my siblings and I's relationship was ruined. They started to hate Tony and I for choosing dad while they chose mom. They were even more frustrated with Tony considering he's a mommy's boy. They thought dad was in the wrong and the reason for the divorce, they blamed him. While for Tony and I, we stuck with our dad. We never tried to fix our relationship but after meeting mom's fiancé we all agreed to hate him and we bonded over that.

Dad and I continue putting the groceries away, snacking on some of the fruit he bought. I felt my phone vibrate and took it out.

'Hey. Can you come over to Leo's birthday party?"

It was... Chase? I expected it to be Bree.
I shut my phone off and side glanced at dad who threw a grape in his mouth.