Chapter 19-County Fair

May 20, 2022

May 20, 2022

"Elle, let's go!" James bangs on the bathroom door.

"Calm down, calm door. Who knew you loved fairs so much," I joke, pushing his arm as I exit the bathroom. He grabs my hand, unphased by my shove, and pulls me in toward him. He leans down, almost close enough to kiss me, pulling back before our lips meet.

"You are such a tease, James Bridgewater," I huff, spinning on my heel and heading down the stairs and out to the car with James on my heel, chuckling to himself. "Why is this so important to you anyway," I shut the car door after I climb inside, turning to face him.

"This is the one day of the year for funnel cakes and stupid little games that are rigged. It's so fun but also unhealthy, physically and financially. You get to let loose and hang out with your friends. Did I mention the funnel cakes?" He raises an eyebrow as we hit the road, headed for the county fair.

"Nope. I don't believe I've heard one mention of funnel cake since 2012."

"Oh. Well, they have great funnel cakes," he repeats for the third time. I shake my head, slightly amused by his antics, not that I would ever let him know that.

I reach for his unoccupied hand and lace my fingers through his. I never thought I would love holding hands so much, but just simply touching James sets my body on fire. Don't even get me started on the looks he gives me. Everything James does seems to ignite my body, setting it off like nothing has before.

Not taking his eyes off the road, James brings our interlaced fingers to his lips and kisses the back of my hand like he always does. How can one person be so perfect? Because it's really unfair that such simple actions from one person can set off such visceral emotions inside of another.

Before we ever make it to the fairgrounds, I see lights shooting into the sky and a giant ferris wheel towering above; the sunset rounding off the picture before me as the perfect backdrop.

As soon as James parks the car, he runs around to my door, throwing it open, taking my hand, and running off into the crowd. I struggle to keep up with his long legs, "James, slow dooowwwnnn," I complain. "I promise everything will still be there in a few minutes. I can't even keep up with you."

James slows down and spins around to face me, a grin lighting up his face. He grabs me by my waist, lifting me up and placing me on his shoulders, before moving again, slightly slower than before. I place my hands on his head, trusting him completely.

When we make it to the ticket booth, he pays quickly, grabs the tickets, and continues on to the game booths.

"Alright," he says, placing me carefully back on the ground. "Ferris wheel is the last thing we are going tonight," he smiles slyly, a plan up his sleeve. What? I don't know.