Rock Band

When NJ was nine years old, she found an old video tape of her late grandmother Narcisa, the one she been named after, playing the violin at a solo concert. NJ had been so fascinated with the music and how cool her grandmother looked while playing, so by that following summer she had convinced her parents to enroll her in violin classes. Her first teacher was Mrs. Dolores Cruz. Mrs. Cruz lived inside their village, and held classes inside her own living room.

NJ later found out that though her grandmother made playing the violin look easy, it definitely was not. Mrs. Cruz had always been patient and encouraging with her and all her other students, that she kept on it for two years. Then Mrs. Cruz decided to move to the US with the family of one of her sons. NJ saw how hard a decision it was for her to let go of her students, as she wept openly in front of them on their last day with her.

"I hope you all keep playing," she had said then. "Your talent for music is God's gift to all of you, and I'm so sorry I would no longer be there to guide you through your journey. But I know He will take care of all of you."

"Oh, Narcisa, it's really good to see you," Mrs. Cruz said now, as she hobbled over to NJ's side. Her old teacher gave her a quick hug.

"This is such a wonderful coincidence, Narcisa," the woman with her, who NJ recognized as Mrs. Cruz's eldest daughter, Jenna, said.

"What are you doing here, Mrs. Cruz, Ms. Jenna?" NJ exclaimed. "I mean, I'm really glad to see you both." She giggled. "I mean it's just, well-"

"Just not the type of establishment for titas and lolas to go to, you mean?" Ms. Jenna supplied, her eyes twinkling. "I admit I'd probably be spending time at home or say, in Café Mary Grace." She winked. "But I'm actually working now, too, and Ma wanted to come."

"I'm visiting here for only a month, after all, Jenna," Mrs. Cruz said, a slight note of reproach in her tone. "I might as well go to all the places I can. And I'm so glad I insisted. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bumped into you, Narcisa." She elbowed her daughter. "I tell you, Jenna, it's God's hand, guiding us in all we do."

"You know I believe that, Ma," Ms. Jenna said. She turned back to NJ. "I've been teaching the violin too, in the all-girls' school near here. Our summer classes are ending, so I decided that instead of the usual recital we have in the concert hall in school, we try something different this year. Something more...current, I should say."

She pointed to the performance area beside them. "We reserved this area so our students are going to have their recital here. I encouraged them to play pieces that aren't exactly traditional-like classical versions of pop songs, that sort of thing. This way, we make our music more accessible. More relatable."

"That's such an awesome idea, Ms. Jenna," NJ said. She turned to her old violin teacher. "I'm sure you're really happy about this, Mrs. Cruz. You had always encouraged creativity in us back then."

"Oh, yes," Mrs. Cruz said. She looked fondly at the crowd around them. "It's so wonderful, seeing how we can share our music to all these people. Music is meant to be heard by everyone, not just by a privileged few."

Her eyes fell on the violin case that Van had left in his seat. She drew closer to NJ, taking the young woman's hands.

"Oh," Mrs. Cruz breathed. "You're still playing, Narcisa?"

NJ opened her mouth to say no, then closed it again, seeing the look on Mrs. Cruz's face. The old woman was beaming from ear to ear, and in her eyes shone a hope that she dared not disappoint.

"I knew God will find a way," Mrs. Cruz said. "I had prayed that he would still guide you, even when I wouldn't be there for all of you. I'm so, so happy to see this, Narcisa."