Chapter 16: Trust

AN: it's short one, but it didn't feel right adding more to this one. please don't forget to vote!

Harry's POV

I pulled her closer to me as she kissed me. Her lips felt like they were meant to mold with mine, so soft and perfect. I ran my tongue softly along her lower lip, and I felt her lips part, her tongue meeting mine. She tasted like our drink from earlier, sweet.

She broke the kiss, kissing my chin softly whispering, "Stay the night. Not like that, just, stay with me."

I nodded and kissed her forehead, "Okay."

She looked up at me smiling, and for the first time, I felt like she trusted me. Even just a little bit. It was there.

We walked back into her apartment and I wrapped my arms around her waist as we walked. I hated when couples did this, but I couldn't get enough of her today.

"Do you wanna shower before bed?" she said, leaning her head back on my chest.

"Together?" I said playfully and she giggled, shaking her head no. I laughed and nodded my head, "I figured, I would actually appreciate one though."

She moved my hands from around her, leading me by the hand to the bathroom, "The towels on the rack are clean so take any you want, I think I have a pair of sweats that I bought a while ago that might fit you."

"For who? Charles." I teased

"Yes, actually. You ass." She rolled her eyes walking away.

I ran after her, grabbing her arm and turning her around, "I'm sorry. Jealousy. It won right there."

She took a deep breath and turned to walk over to her drawers, searching the bottom one until she found the sweats tossing them at me, "Go, go. I need a shower too."

We both took our turns showering, and I sat on her bed waiting for her. I heard the blow dryer going off, so I knew she was almost done.

She appeared a few minutes later and stood at her doorway biting her lip.

"Why are you so far away?"

She took a deep breath, "It's been a while since I've had a man in here."

"I don't bite, I mean unless you want me too." I teased, smiling.

I watched as she laughed, rolling her eyes, "Shut up."

"Come here before your eyes get stuck like that."

She purposely rolled her eyes at me, and the warmth filled my chest. It took everything in me not to walk over and kiss her, "Maggie."

"Harry." She smiled, almost like she knew what my inner thoughts were. She laughed and finally walked over, crawling into bed, sitting next to me.

"Hey." She said smiling at me, her face slowly flushing.

"Hey you." I smiled at her, my fingers reaching to run along her flushed cheeks, "I promise I'm not going to try anything. We can just lay here and talk."

She nodded softly, scooting down on the bed a bit, leaning herself into my chest, "Okay."

I ran my fingers softly along her arm, she smelled so sweet, like cotton candy, her skin was so soft. I took a deep breath and said softly, "Can I know about your mom?"

I felt as her breathing slowed, and pulled her closer, "You don't have to Mags."

"No, I just," she took a deep breath, "She got breast cancer four years ago. She had a double mastectomy, chemo, so much medicine. It tore her apart as a person. It's like there is only half of her left. It's gone now, and she's somewhat better, but she can't walk anymore. It was just bad.

I listened intently, from the speed she was speaking at, I knew if I interrupted her, she may not be able to continue.

"She had to stop working, obviously, and things got tough at the house. I had just moved out, and couldn't really afford to help. Then one day, my dad went to work, and never came back. I spent that entire day calling every hospital, fire station, police station, everything looking for him. He texted me a couple days later saying he wasn't coming back. It went downhill from there. We almost lost the house, the bills became too much. My family helped when they could, but they have their own things you know? So, then Charles stepped in," she paused and wiped tears from her eyes, "He gave up his apartment and moved in with my mom and sister. He got me a raise at work, and paid half the mortgage, sometimes the entire thing.. My mom paid the other half with her unemployment when he would allow her. I paid the bills. He bought my mom and sister groceries," she cried softly in my arms.

"It ruined our relationship really, but I owe him everything. Which is why him putting me on probation hurts, because I placed so much trust in him. He was the only person I could rely on, and I put so much faith in him. And I know I'm probably overreacting but it still hurts. He didn't even let me explain myself."

I pulled her closer as she cried, and kissed the top of her head, "I'm sorry Maggie." I whispered into her hair.

She cried until she fell asleep. I got up slowly, laying her against the pillow, I grabbed my phone, walking into the living room closing the door behind me. I sat on the couch placing my phone on the table in front of me and leaned on my knees, running my hands through my hair. I took a deep breath, taking my phone and clicking through my contacts.

"Hello," the voice answered after two rings.

"Hi Charles, it's Harry. I need to talk to you. Can you meet me tomorrow for dinner?"

"Uh, sure. Should we loop in Jeff?"

"No, just you and I. It's personal."

"Is it about Maggie? Is she okay?"

"Charles, I can't talk about it at the moment. Tomorrow, for dinner I'll text you the restaurant."

"Okay, sounds good."

I hung up and leaned my head back on the couch, I caused a mess between them, so I needed to fix it.

"Harry?" I heard her call.

"I'm coming, I had to use the bathroom," I got up walking back into her room and getting in bed next to her. I laid close to her, and she pushed her body close to mine. "Thank you Maggie, for trusting me with that."

"I'm trying. Please don't make me regret it," she whispered softly.

I kissed the top of her head, speaking into it, "I won't. I'm really going to make sure I don't."

She pushed away softly, so she could lean up and kiss me. She wrapped her hand around the nape of my neck and it sent chills down my spine as she intertwined her fingers in my hair.

I bit her lip playfully and felt her smile against our kiss as she slipped her tongue to run it against mine. I ran my fingers up and down her spine, and feeling her shudder softly under my touch just made me pull her closer to me. I wanted her, but I didn't want to push further than what she wanted. I felt as she pulled away softly, resting her forehead on mine, her breathing slightly heavy.

I kissed her nose softly, "Let's get some rest, okay?"

She nodded, slowing her breathing, and scooting back down slightly. She placed soft kisses on my neck until I felt her relax into me, falling asleep. I rested my cheek on top of her head and soon I was asleep too.